Congratulations

Finnegan:

Last night was amazing even though I don't know what came over me. I apologized to Emmy this morning for being an asshole; that's not me. I had a craptastic day at work and shouldn't have taken it out on him but I was just worn out. Em handled that, and me, beautifully. I feel much better today.

It's 10:34 and I haven't killed anyone yet.

See? Better.

This morning, as I was grabbing one of the healthy granola bars that Emmett stocks for me, I saw his letter. I didn't mean to spy, it was just laying right next to my breakfast basket. Maybe he wanted me to see it or maybe he was just busy when he served dinner and just got it out of the way. Either way, I saw it.

So tonight, we celebrate. It's his day off and I'm going to do whatever I have to do to be out of here by 6. He's not cooking tonight, I'm taking my man out.

FW4: Hey Em, I wanna take you out to dinner tonight. Does a 7 pm reservation work for you?

It takes him longer than I expect.

Daddy: Not necessary, darling.

FW4: But I want to. Please?

Megan told me about an amazing place down at the harbor. In the harbor? At the inner harbor? I have no idea what to call it. Top notch food and I had her check; no jacket required. I know he loves seafood and getting accepted into this program deserves something special.

Daddy: Alright, meet you there?

FW4: Nope, I'll come home and change. No jacket but no sandals or shorts either, sorry.

Daddy: Better be good food. Just us?

FW4: Of course. Gotta run.

My day flies. Yesterday we started work on another DoD bid and I'm having issues with one of my suppliers. The machines I need are made by very few companies and getting everything I need, when I need it, is proving difficult. I have a deadline. A very large, very important deadline. Everything needs to fall into place.

I am in my car at 5:58 and home by 6:20. I walk in and get out of my jacket and tie. "Em?" He's not down here.

"Upstairs. Welcome home darling."

Good. I head up and find him on the bed with his laptop. On his screen is a gorgeous view that I recognize. "The beach."

"Yeah. Sorry, didn't realize it was so late." He closes the screen and slowly stands; he's been sitting there awhile and it's evident by how stiff he is. "So, I need pants."

"You do. I'm leaving on these and just changing my shirt but you can do jeans and a henley, whatever you want."

He kisses me, then informs met that "I do actually have some dress clothes."

See, I don't. I guess 'dress clothes' to me would be my tux but that's just black tie. I have clothes and casual clothes. Either way, he's pulling on a dark pair of slacks that are nice. Really nice.

"I'll even wear buttons but don't get too used to it." He has a pretty checked shirt that goes well and it makes his shoulders look scrumptious. If I don't get out of here now to grab a shirt we may not make it.

I let him drive because ick, traffic and I have no idea where I'm going. He follows the gps and we're early until we have to find a place to park. Still, we walk in just a minute or two late. "I've never been here" he tells me "but I've heard they have great seafood."

"Same" I tell him and that earns me a smile. Once we've ordered drinks and an appetizer, I decide to congratulate him. "I saw your letter, I'm really proud of you Em. Congrats."

It takes him a second, maybe he didn't mean for me to see it. "Oh, yeah, thanks. It's a cool little program and I never thought I'd get in."

"So tell me about it."

"Not much to say. They do some workshops, courses and stuff and then an exhibition. People can show old stuff and a few new things they do in the class. Maybe I'll hit the show if I can."

Huh? In what world is there an 'if'? Does 'hit the show' mean something other than 'attend the exhibition'? "I'm confused."

"By what, darling?"

"Why wouldn't you be there? You know, showing your amazing pictures?"

"I can't go, Finn. Gonna decline the invite."

Oooh, must tread carefully. This is gonna be touchy. "Sorry, assumed you would. Therefore, celebratory dinner. I... I'm sorry you can't. If there's anything I can do..." A look. "What's that look for?"

"It's handled, okay? It's fine."  And then I'm pretty sure I hear him say "Besides, it's not art anyway" but I'm not sure and I let it go because our calamari arrives and he digs right in like he's starving. 

I think he's trying to avoid the conversation and maybe I should drop it. I just don't get it. "Can I ask why you're not doing it?"

Another look. "Only if you don't tell me you'll wave your magic wand and fix it."

"No one's ever called it that before" I tease. "You've probably heard it though, yours is very nice."

"Stop. My god Finn. Okay, I'm not doing it because I'd have to take two weeks off work and that's not gonna happen. Plus, you may be moving, I may be... who knows."

"Okay." Valid concerns, I guess. I know the real answer, he's not going because of his pride. "Well if you reconsider I'm happy to help, either monetarily or otherwise. Not sure I can take your place at work though."

That earns me a smile. "What I wouldn't pay to see you and Tristan manning Wrecked. That would be funny. So, how was your day?"

And that's it, subject dropped. I want to smack him upside the head but instead we talk and eat more food than any two people ever should.