Results

*** Is it possible for them to be too mature and reasonable?  Does anyone miss petty drama?  I may put a bit in next chapter but if we want more, some real angst, let me know.  Seems weird to write a story, especially on Wattpad, without it.  I don't know though, the real world seems bleak enough right now and I'm enjoying some happy.

Finnegan:

Two Sundays in a row I've woken to an amazing breakfast and then Emmett has made me another even though he spent at least five minutes this morning kicking and bitching at his fridge that was making a really scary sound.  Afterwards I attended mass. It's a lovely way to spend a morning. If I just worked some gym time into my weekend I'd be all set but I'm still squeezing it in on mornings I wake up at home. Besides, does propping my ass up in the air count as pilates?  Maybe.  My phone rings as soon as I've taken off my pants and I have to dig for it. Emm looks slightly disappointed that he'll have to wait for his kiss but it's my dad. I hold my finger up. "Hey dad."

"Hey Finn, Dr. McClarren gave me your results at mass this morning, want me to open it for you or just send them along?"

He's telling me he'd like to know what it says in his unassuming way. I'm very lucky to have so many people in my life who care about my well-being, even if it is annoying at times. "Go ahead and open it."

"Received results from Johns Hopkins yadda yadda scans and appointment on Monday, all clear. Looks good son, iron looks good, skin swab came back fine, no abnormalities on the scans or blood work."

"Good." I give Emmett a thumbs up. "Hey, could you just snap a picture and send it to me?" Maybe it'll do Emmett good to have it in black and white, sort of.

"Of course, no problem. Hey, heard back from Taiwan, deal is a go. Good job, son."

"I thought it would go through, nice to have a more conscientious supplier in the chain."

"That it is.  Well I'll let you go, we're about to sit down to brunch." They always have a huge meal after mass, I'm not surprised he called me as soon as he got home though, the letter must have been burning a hole in his pocket although Doc would have pulled him aside and warned him if there had been anything wrong. Still, he worries.

"Enjoy. Give mom a kiss for me."

"I'll give that lovely lady two. Talk to you later in the week."

Emmett is watching me intently and as soon as I lower my phone he says "Good news?  A thumbs up is good, right?"

"What else could it be, silly? Yes, I'm perfectly healthy. I'll even show you the letter once it comes through."

"Not necessary, I'm just relieved." He looks it, he really does. His smile is a bit softer, his eyes maybe a bit brighter.

"I'm sorry you were so worried, Em" but I get it. To him this is sort of my first scan results. My parents and I were on edge for years afterwards. You get used to it a little bit although it never really gets easy. A stack of clear scans makes waiting for the next one less nerve-wracking but even though I've been well for a long time, this is the first time he's had to wait. "Are you okay?" What is going on in his head?

"Sorry, thinking about my mom. We kept hoping, you know? But that's, sorry. I'm glad you're okay darling, really glad." Hoping she'd get a clear scan. Right. Ouch. I don't know what to say so I give him a hug. While we're still in each others arms he says "I have a confession. I know it was wrong and I'm sorry so I hope you'll let me off the hook."

I pull away just enough to get a good look at him. "Sounds serious."

"I just stepped way over the line. Um, Monday? I, shit, I do trust you Finn, my head just went a little crazy."

Monday? Test day, but I didn't see him afterwards. "Okay, Monday."

"I may have called to see if you were at work.  Only because I know how much to hated to miss it for your appointment, I just worried..."

I pull away because that's my natural response. Hands go to my hips even though it's really hard to look imposing wearing just Care Bear boxers. My face is hard and I don't like looking at him like that or feeling this way. Especially not in this house. And then I replay all the shit I thought a few minutes ago. He was scared. He lost his mom. It wasn't about me. I force myself to relax and step back into his arms. "Okay."

He wraps me up gently, as if he thinks I'll fuss if he holds on too tight. "I'm sorry."

"I know. You wanted to make sure I was safe" because I have no doubt that some daddy went into that decision. Yes, it was wrong but he knows that and he didn't have to tell me at all.

"Yes, that's all, Finn, I just needed to know you're okay."

I force my voice to be as lighthearted as possible. "Well I am."

"And I'm glad. I'm, hell, is it too much to ask for you to send me a post card every six months? I'm going to worry about you, darling."

A post card? Oh. I won't be here for the next round. Right. That puts me leaving into the harsh light of reality. It's so easy for Finny to forget, I don't think about much when I'm in little space.  So he's okay, well he's okay with it. I thought maybe we'd talk when we got to that point but fine. "Sure. I'd rather talk to you though."

"I'd love to hear from you Finn. Anytime. I don't want to think about it, you leaving, but... damn I'm a mess today, sorry." So maybe there's a chance of working something out. I really, really hope we can although I have no idea what that would look like or how we'd work. "I'm supposed to be a little more butch than this."

He's only half kidding but I don't expect him to be a tough, in control daddy all the time. "Hey, I go to work and, I don't know what I'm trying to say. I don't expect you to never need anything. Just because I'm usually little around you doesn't mean I can't step up and take care of you sometimes. We both have different sides and I don't think it's gonna work if we don't show each other both."

"No, you're right, but this is your weekend."

"It's our weekend, Em."

"Right. You're right. I don't want to spend the rest of it worrying about things, we should celebrate your results and enjoy the afternoon."

"That's fine by me but Em? We can talk whenever you're ready." I walk around the kitchen table and look out the deck door. "Why are the sheets hanging outside?"

"Dryer bit the dust.  Luckily it wasn't a load of underwear, poor Mrs. Lewis.  I'll get one after payday, or maybe next payday."  He shrugs.  "I'd call a repair guy but the set came with the house and are probably 20 years old. I can use the laundromat till then but figured those would dry just fine, warm as it is."

"Hey, when are you off this week? He didn't work Saturday which means he will this week and that means a day off during the week. I've finally got his schedule worked out.

"Tuesday, why? Want me to stop by the office?

Not why I asked but "Absolutely. I'll schedule myself a long lunch break."

"I'll bring something, what do you want?"

"You know what I want, daddy." I raise my eyebrows and he laughs. There, that's better.