Exhibition

Emmett:

We're having a perfectly nice meal on Thursday evening when I mention the exhibit that's being put on tomorrow. It's been on my mind all week but I'm ready.  The canvases are all dropped off and I can finally look forward to it instead of just being nervous. Strike that, I'm still nervous but there's some excitement along with it instead of just fear. There are two other people the class that I'm really excited about seeing their work and even if the exhibit tanks, I have learned a ton.

"Tomorrow?!?!" Finn gasps, then pulls his phone from his pocket. "I thought it was Saturday. What time?"

"Three to six, why?"

What is that look for? "I can't with you sometimes, Em. Why?" This boy really knows how to scoff.

That is a massive eyeroll. Looks painful. Oh. "You don't have to come or anything, darling."

Again, a look. Oooh, his nose is into it now, he's squinching it up at me and those eyes are not happy. What? "Do you not WANT me to come?"

No, no. "You're welcome, of course Finn, but I know you're starting production Monday and I remember what happened last time so I don't want you to worry about it."

"I'm worried because you're telling me this now. If you had mentioned it before I could have scheduled around it. I'm gonna tell Megan this is your fault."

Anything but that, I need Megan on my good side so that I can sneak into his office for fun lunches. Yesterday was really, really nice. "Finn, really, you don't have to come."

"Because? No, no, don't answer that. I'm coming."

"It's just photography, Finn." I know how he feels about it and museums so I don't expect him to be interested. "Just because we're together doesn't mean you have to do shit you don't enjoy."

He reaches out and grabs my hand. "I don't care if you're smearing shit on the walls and setting it on fire, Emmett Locke; this is your thing and I will support your thing!"

Okay, he's scary now. "You ever watch dance moms? You're scaring me, darling."

"No, I have no time for foolishness. And for the record, I enjoy your photography quite a bit. Is this about the 'art' comment at the Walters? Look, I apologize and even if I don't think it's art, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it. I don't think golf is a sport but I have no problem with people playing it, Em. You can be really good at something that's not... Okay, bad example but whatever. Ugh, you! What is with you tonight?" Then he mocks me, faking my voice. "It's only this hugely important exhibition that I've been wanting to do for years. Why would you, my boyfriend, want to come?"

I'm laughing, I can't help it. He even pushes fake hair out of his face. I get up and take our dishes to the sink. "Oh stop."

"No, you stop. I'm coming no matter what you say." Now it's his turn to blush. "That sounded SO dirty."

"Yes it did and I may have to teach you a lesson, darling."

When I turn around he's smiling and walking towards me. "I love lessons and I'm sure you have some pent up energy with tomorrow and all, don't you?"

"I do. We can't have me going into the exhibition all pent up, as you so eloquently put it. We're gonna hammer some of that out right now."

*** *** ***

Finnegan:

We have a fault on the line and the circuit boards aren't passing. I wanted to be out of here ten minutes ago to head over to Emmett's exhibition and instead I'm on the floor talking to my engineers. They seem to have a solid plan, thankfully. "Look, tweak it and run it again. I'll be back."

I've never been to this campus but the building they're holding the exhibition in is massive and there are a million cars here. I'm way overdressed so I lose my jacket and take off my tie. Better. Still, better to be overdressed than under although it's getting really hard to be under dressed anymore. Seriously, the things people wear outdoors shocks me. I wouldn't wear half of that in front of Marten, much less other people.

I sign in and go through the double doors and am taken aback. It's fancy and really well done and there's a ton of variety. I pass by six large photographs of faces but they've been edited so all the colors are strange. It's hard to describe. A section of small black and white cityscapes ends abruptly and the next student's photos are all of nudes. Everything is covered, mostly, but I'm struck by how angry all of the subjects look. I see Emmett's now, he has the large corner at the end of the first path.

"Hi darling." He gives me a hug and I know he doesn't mind me being here.  It makes rearranging things today more than worth it.  "Thanks for coming" he whispers into my ear.

The first picture I notice is my car. Well, my old roadster. The bumper and headlight is smashed in and there's no doubt that he took this right after the accident. "You photographed this?" I ask, reaching towards it.

"Don't touch the photographs" a guard yells.

I yank my hand back. "Sorry."

Em just puts his hand around my waist to reassure me. "I did. The before and after. That's the theme of my collection" he tells me.

I spend a few minutes looking at all of them and though I recognize two, the rest are all new to me. "These are really good, Em. Not that I'd know but..."

"Thank you. I actually talked to a guy, he wants to buy the rights to the beach one. They supply hotels and doctor's offices, stuff like that."

He's smiling and sounds really proud of himself. I don't know exactly what that entails but "Congratulations, Em."  I'll get my lawyers to look over whatever they send him.

"Thanks. He's talking a ridiculous amount of money for a photo. Maybe I can go down to part time at the garage and have more time to take care of you and do some photography."

"More time for photography definitely sounds good to me and I'm not gonna argue with the other part either, Em. I'm behind you 100 percent, do whatever makes you happy." My phone chirps and I have to check it.  Looks like we're up and running!  "Crap, it's work. I really need to go back soon. I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I didn't expect you at all, really."

I've circled back and I'm staring at the wreck that started it all. "At the exhibit or in your life, Em?"

"Both but I'm really glad you're here. Who knew that you turning on red would be such a good thing for me?"

"It was yellow" I hiss "but you're right, it was definitely worth it; air bag trauma and all."  Someone important is trying to get his attention and I step back. "I'm going to go. I'll take you out to dinner to celebrate."

"That sounds good. And darling?"

"Yes?" I love when he calls me that. I love that he does it in public. I love that he loves every single part of me. I'm a lucky, lucky man.

"Drive safe." I always do.

*** The END ***