Parachute Men

Finny:

Rhys and I have been swimming and playing for hours. Now we're sifting sand for gemstones and already found a diamond! Uncle Quincy says it might be glass but it's not.

"Hey guys, sunscreen and snack time" Daddy tells us.

"What if someone takes our treasures?" Rhys asks. He has a big pile that he loves.

"I will sit here and guard everything while you guys go eat, okay? Finny, ask Uncle Quincy to spray you."

"He will" Rhys says. "He's a great sprayer. Never gets my eyes."

Emmy chuckles and shoos us away and we run up and sit under the umbrella. "I'm thirsty Uncle Quincy and I need spray" I tell him, even though I don't want it. "We have stuff in daddy's bag."

"Okay, let me get Rhys set up here real quick since I know where his snack is" he says and he's already done so I don't mind waiting "and we'll find yours. Where's Emmett? Down playing?"

"No daddy" Rhys tells him, "he's guarding!"

"Oh, I see. You'll have to tell him thank you." He pulls out my new blue snack box. "This must be yours and, looks like you've got capri suns or water, which do you want?"

"We brought two suns, one for me and one for Rhys, we froze them!" I tell him.

"That's nice of you to share, Finn. Okay they seem drinkable but still super cold, good idea." He hands us each one and puts in Rhys' straw. "Need help with yours?"

"Please." My hands are sandy. He hands it to me and asks me if I had fun this morning. "Yep! We went to the arcade and I have a... oh no! We forgot Rhys' present!"

Rhys grabs my arm. "Prezzie?"

"Yeah, I'll ask daddy about it, maybe we can get it" I tell him.

He's only like fifteen feet away and must have heard us. "We did forget it but it's not a beach toy so you couldn't play with it right now anyway. We'll go get it for you later, okay?"

I don't want them to leave, tomorrow is stupid. "Can they come to our house for pizza?" I ask him.

"Absolutely, if they want."

"Uncle Quincy, wanna come over? We have a pool, Rhys and it has fountains and toys. There are games, too." It will be so much fun to have them at the house. "We're gonna order pizza and if you come, we can order lots! It's not far, it's right over there" I tell them, pointing. "Please?"

Rhys is sort of jumping and nodding and squirming around and Uncle Quincy smiles at him. "I guess you'd like to go, huh bunny?"

"Yes! Please? I like pizza! I had a good nap and I've been good" he says solemnly.

"You're right about all those things. Sure Finn, we'd love to come have pizza."

"Kay, but you have to call me Finny please. I know daddy told you I'm Finn but I'm Finny." That sounds stupid but I don't know how to explain it.

"I got ya, buddy. Finny it is. You two ready for spray and to get back out there?"

"Yes!" We both chime.

Rhys is right, Uncle Quincy is really good at spraying and a few minutes later I'm back with daddy. "Thank you for guarding for us" I tell him.

"It was a close call, I saw a pirate ship out there but they didn't come ashore so your riches are safe."

Rhys is wide-eyed. "Pirates! Do they know where your house is Uncle Emmett?"

"Oh no, it's very, very well hidden. Your treasures, and the pizza, will be safe there. Just let us know when you guys are tired or hungry and we'll go over. I'm gonna take a dip."

"Kay daddy." He hates being sandy but the water doesn't help much because then you're just stickier for the sand. He goes pretty far out, he's a good swimmer.

"I hope the pirates don't catch him" Rhys says, dumping more sand into the sifter.

"They won't. He's super brave and sneaky. Maybe he's spying on them to make sure they don't come for our treasure!" He hands it to me, it's my turn to rinse them off and see what we've got. Inside is mostly grey stones and some tiny shells but there's also a tiny green shiny jewel. "It's an emerald!"

We do two more sifters before daddy comes back. "Hey Finny, I'll bring down your snack case and you can store your treasures in it, okay? I'll ask for yours too, Rhys."

That's a great idea. "Thank you!" Soon we're rinsing those out and sorting our stuff. My box is different than his, it has three compartments all next to each other so I sort mine by color. Rhys puts his favorite rocks in the bottom of his and the gems on the top.

Our daddies drag us out to swim for awhile later and then we decide to go home. We're going to ride in their car to our house even though it's super close. That way they can find it. We have to sit under the umbrella in the shade and dry off first and then Rhys and I climb into the back seat. He has some cool toys and markers that he can draw on the windows with! He tells me I can make a picture so I do but it's not even finished when we get back to the house.

Uncle Quincy seems impressed. "This is nice."

Daddy unlocks the door and shows them where the downstairs bathroom is and then takes them upstairs and shows them the extra bedroom. We go in to change into something more comfy even though we're gonna swim later but I'm pruny and wanna be dry. I grab the parachute men and decide to give one to Rhys. "Can we launch them, daddy?"

"As soon as I have shorts on, sure. Go downstairs and see if he wants to."

I have three and take them downstairs. "Rhys, wanna launch parachute guys from the balcony?"

"Yes! Can I, daddy?"

"Sure, as long as Uncle Emmett says it's okay."

I grab his hand and drag him upstairs just as daddy comes out of the room. "Boys, no climbing on the rail or leaning over, understand?"

"Dangerous?" Rhys asks.

"Yes. Be careful."

"We'll be good" I tell him and we sprint by. We choose our colors and unwrap them and we see our daddies go out onto the deck and climb into the lounge chairs. "You look funny from up here. Are you gonna watch?"

"Of course."

Rhys very carefully drops his and it lands in the pool which he thinks is hilarious. I throw mine high in the air and it almost blows away but then comes back towards us and lands in the yard. "That was so fun!" Rhys says. "Again!"