Two long weeks

Emmett:

I have seen almost nothing of Finnegan for two weeks. I woke up to blow jobs a couple of mornings which let me tell you, I am not complaining about, but he's been at the office 16 to 18 hours a day. We managed to squeeze in miniature golf and dinner last Saturday and a really nice fuck and game time on Sunday between his work stuff but that was it. Last night I woke up at 3 am, noticed he wasn't in bed, and found him in his office doing a teleconference. In Chinese.  He never stops.

It's Thursday evening and he promised me via text today that he'll be home by 8 so we can eat dinner together. Slacker, only working 14 hours today. I have no doubt that he'll be up in the office afterwards but at least we can have a conversation and I can see how he's doing. I'm going all out, roasting a chicken and making baked potatoes with all the fixings. I even have dessert although I bought that, I have a job too.

At 8:16 he walks in the door and just stands there. He's taking a few deep breaths as I walk over. "Need some help?"

"Please."

I slowly take off his jacket and hang it and then remove his tie. He didn't even loosen it when he left the office. That done I go to work on his shirt buttons. "Long day?"

He just nods, he's completely exhausted and mentally fried and it physically hurts me to see him this way. I've seen that look in my friend's eyes, buddies from another time and another life, and it's scary. Some people don't come back from it. He puts his hand on my shoulder to step out of his pants and I lead him to the couch and wrap him up in a blanket before turning on the TV and finding him a cartoon. I give him the remote although I doubt he'll bother changing it; he'd have to care and for that he'd have to focus.

I check dinner and get him a drink, he's been on a lemonade kick since he got back from Michigan. He drinks a bit and I put it on the coffee table for him before pulling him into my arms. "I've got you Finny, it's okay." I don't know how he's going to get through weeks or maybe months more of this.

"Emmy?"

"What is it?"

"I'm sort of done, I mean they're starting construction Monday. That's not done, not nearly done but it's a big stepping stone. A lot of progress. I had to get funding and permits and a contractor. Schematics, blueprints, clearance from the inspectors. God, the mess."

He's too tired to even be as coherent as usual.  Poor boy.  "That's a huge accomplishment darling, I'm proud of you." I probably couldn't have done all of that in a year, much less two weeks.

"I should be here, I should, but Megan says I should take a vacation and see the ocean."

I love Megan. She's my favorite person. "Absolutely, how long can you get away for?" One day is a lot of driving and not a lot of beach although I've done it once. Two days works. Three is much better and four is actually a nice vacation.

"I don't know. How far is it? Could I come back to the office?"

Is he kidding? "Not every morning. If you're talking Rehoboth it's two and a half, three max."

"No I meant like once. I have a thing Tuesday so we could leave Wednesday but if I can come back we could go on Sunday? I can't believe I'm saying this, it's asinine for me to leave right now. Can you get some time off? It's no notice but I can talk to Tristan. He might be able to put a good word in for you."

That's a lot to take in. "Even though that would be a funny conversation, I'll talk to Peter. So leave Sunday morning, come back here Tuesday and then go back when? Thursday morning?"

He's curled up in a little ball and has his head on my lap. Maybe he's half cat because he's practically purring as I run my fingers through his hair. "We could do Wednesday afternoon if everything goes okay. No promises."

"Okay, and then come back when? You gonna want to be in the office the next Monday?"

"Honestly depends how much time you can get off work and how everything goes. Might be able to stay longer, may end up never going back Wednesday. Sorry, we're going to have to play it by ear."

He's not being elusive on purpose, his life is a firestorm right now so I'm not bothered. "Darling, you desperately need a vacation so I will make it work. It's going to be hard to get a room but I'll get online after dinner and see what I can find."

"Emmy, I have a Megan. I'll have her do it tomorrow. I have to be on-site Saturday to do a final walk-through but I can do the rest of it from the beach for a few days. It smells really good in here, I'm starving."

Shit, I forgot to set the timer! I jump up, sticking a pillow under his head and yes, it is definitely very done. The skin is crispy and the leg moves easily which my mother always taught me was the sign it's done. I have to melt the cheese and serve it up and voila, dinner is served. "Come on back, darling."

He shuffles over and I know it's because he's exhausted which is awful but it's also adorable. "How about I give you a massage and a nice bj after dinner?"

"That sounds heavenly. I'm exhausted but I have a few things to do after that lovely offer.  Don't let me crash."

I want him to actually get a good night's sleep but I will remind him because whatever he needs to do may be time sensitive. I'm supposed to be taking care of him but how can I when he's never here? At least he's getting a good meal into him, maybe after he's in bed I'll whip up some chicken salad with the leftovers and pack him a lunch. It'll be nice not worrying about him so much tomorrow. I'll even put a silly note in and a box of Yoo-Hoo. That'll brighten his day. "I'll take care of everything tonight, you can relax Finny."