Simmering

Emmett woke up the next morning when the bed shifted. It only took him a second to remember exactly where he was and to figure out where Finnegan was as well. He'd learned to wake up quickly while in the army. It had been imperative and even now that he woke to safety in comfortable beds, it stuck with him. He looked down and smiled at his silly pajama pants. Apparently they were Toy Story themed although he had no idea why 'the claw' was written down one leg. He didn't complain because they were mostly black and the little alien yellow guys were cute. He had worn them simply so Finnegan would wear some silly ones as well and he hadn't disappointed, putting on some absolutely covered in Pokemon balls and little Pikachus. "You should come back over here" he said to Finnegan's back.

He turned from the closet with a light blue dress shirt in his hand. At least he was pretty sure it was light blue; he hadn't risked turning on any lights. "Go back to sleep, it's early."

"Doesn't go with your pants" Emmett teased. "Come here, you have a few minutes, right?"

"It would go better with yours. I have to shower, Emmett." He still picked out his clothes ahead of time, just like he'd done when he was younger; he'd never been one to blindly stumble into the shower. He never blindly stumbled anywhere except he felt that way whenever Emmett was around.

"So come over here so I can suck you off and then get a quick shower."

"Emmett!" Finnegan gasped, smiling. "You're so naughty. Besides, I owe you, remember?" His words were saying the right things but his feet were carrying him towards the bed. "It's not fair."

"You can pay me back, I promise." He was already thinking of a few ways.

*** *** ***

After taking care of himself while Finnegan was in the shower and managing to fall back asleep even though he had promised himself he wouldn't, Emmett woke up a little past 10. He found a note on the table with instructions and a spare key and decided that since it was his day off, he was going to do something nice for Finnegan. After brushing his teeth and getting into some real clothes again, he stopped by his place for a quick shower and to feed Marten and then headed for the grocery store.

By noon he was in Finnegan's kitchen, cooking up a storm. He knew that he was bordering on creepy but also figured that when Finnegan got home again at 7 or 8, he'd be glad to find dinner simmering in the oven. Something healthier than they'd had last night. Emmett knew he had tons of time to cook and clean up. He'd leave Finnegan a note and hope that it made his evening easier. After all, Finnegan's note HAD said to make himself at home.

Finnegan loved the look on Megan's face when he'd told her he was leaving, not just going out for lunch. She'd smiled, obviously pleased, and then lied to whoever she was on the phone with, saying that he had already left for the day. He tossed his messenger bag on the passenger seat and drove home a little quicker than he should have, glad the traffic was light this time of day. Maybe he'd take half days more often. No, no he wouldn't.

Emmett had his ear buds in and had just closed the oven door when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye and heard a scream. He dove for the floor, hiding behind the island and slowly reached up for the knife he'd left on the cutting board. The scream was odd, what kind of burglar or attacker screamed? Oh, Finn. Shit.

Finnegan had screamed completely out of instinct and taken a step back when he saw someone in his kitchen. Emmett diving to the floor had scared him almost as much as seeing him in the first place. He tentatively called out "Emmett?" Why that gorgeous man was in his kitchen would have to wait a second.

Emmett stood sheepishly, trying to be sneaky when he put the knife back on the countertop. "Finn, sorry, you scared me."

"Ditto" he answered, his heart still racing, and then he forgot all of his words. Emmett was standing barefoot in his kitchen wearing nothing but an apron and some very low-slung shorts. His hair was piled on top of his head in a messy man bun and he had the cutest look on his face. Finnegan really had no idea what to do next.

"I was going to surprise you, I thought you might have another long day and I wanted to leave you dinner. I had no idea you were coming home so early" he said, trying to explain his presence in the least creepy way possible. "You didn't get fired, did you?"

Finnegan laughed, heading into his room to kick off his shoes. "Nope, we are up and running!"

Emmett grabbed him, pulling him into a hug. "So, now that work is actually getting done, the boss isn't needed. Makes perfect sense to me."

Finnegan pulled his hands back, putting them on his hips and giving him a nasty look. "No! I---"

Emmett hoped that Finn knew he'd been kidding but decided to kiss him instead of listening to a rant. "You deserve some time off, darling, I was just teasing." He was really glad that Finn wasn't working another 14 hour day but it did put him in a bit of a predicament. "This brisket isn't going to be done for hours, it just has to cook on low and it would be good whenever you got home. I should get out of your hair. I'll clean up and be gone, I really didn't mean to come off like a creep. I'm not a stalker, I promise."

"Well you were waiting for me after work two days in a row" Finn teased. "This is what psychologists call 'escalation'. I'm tempted to forgive you though, I'll forgive most things if you feed me."

"I'll uh, I'll keep that in mind Finn. So you can eat this anytime after 5 o'clock but the longer it cooks, the better. Damn it, this is what I get for trying to be nice. Let me just wash up the rest."

"Emmett? I have a dishwasher but you don't have to run away." His apartment already smelled good and he couldn't imagine how amazing it was going to smell by dinner time. "I was going to hit the gym and then have some lunch. If you want to join me, I mean."

Emmett wondered if his head was literally spinning. The boy in front of him was nothing like the tired, cranky Finn he'd dealt with last night. "Aren't you tired?"

"Yep. Gym, lunch, nap" he replied, counting them off on his fingers. "Sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon. And then, then I'm going to have an amazing dinner and open a bottle of wine to celebrate going into production."

"Sounds great. I will totally take you up on using your gym if you have a pair of shorts I can borrow."