Appointment

Finnegan:

Unfortunately I'm too busy on Friday to have lunch of any kind, especially a fun one. I eat a granola bar in between meetings and call it good enough. By the time I leave the office I'm starving and instead of going home and feeling bad about the fact that I'm not with Emmett, I decide to go shopping. I can eat out and hopefully find some swim trunks so that I can sleep in tomorrow morning.

I told Emmett in no uncertain terms that I wasn't going to look like a club boy but that doesn't mean I want long, shapeless trunks either. Finding something cute and presentable is proving more difficult than it should be. I guess if we were going to the ocean or something I'd just wear whatever but this is Peter and Tristan's and should be a fairly chill atmosphere. I don't want a speedo or anything but I can get away with something slightly more flattering than a paper bag.

I give up and stop at Target on the way home. I need a few basics, like tissues and sunscreen because let me tell you, this Irish boy does NOT tan. I'm heading towards the paper goods when I stop in my tracks and see their pride display. They have trunks. Short but not toooo short, bright, rainbow trunks. I have to have them. I will try them on at home and hope that I get to sleep in tomorrow.

I get home, toss my mail on the counter and try on my shorts. They're adorable. Perfect. I am set. I go through my mail and open the one from John's Hopkins. My doctor has set up my bi-annual tests here since getting to his office would be a huge pain in the ass. Unfortunately, the back and forth between the offices means that I'm getting the notice three days before my appointment. Literally, it's scheduled for Monday. At 8:15 am. I can't do a whole morning of scans and blood work without giving work some notice. Megan is good but that's asking the impossible, especially after I was out of the office last week with the cold. I'll have to reschedule. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get hold of someone.

It is way past time for comfy pants. I change and take out my contacts and then stare into my freezer hoping ice cream will magically appear. Emmett has some but he's with Andy which is good, he should see his friends. I don't have any here but if I did, I know he'd want me to see them. Well, Tristan, I guess and he's making sure we see each other tomorrow. Still, I miss him. I curl up on my uncomfortable couch and watch anime but it's just not the same as being with him.

*** *** ***

I wake up earlier than I plan to on Saturday but my body isn't used to sleeping much past 8. It's the second morning in a row I've woken up without Emmett. My god, I sound like a needy koala. It's just two days and I need to get a grip. Still, I can't help wondering if he's awake yet too. That's stupid, of course he is because he's working today. Right.

I call the doctor's office and am told that they don't have an open appointment slot for another two months. I'll probably be in Michigan by then so I just cancel. Missing one check-up isn't going to kill me, they always come back fine anyway. At least it's done.

I hit the gym and it's more than time because I've been slacking since I was sick. Staying with Emmett makes it harder to go although I'm getting all sorts of exercise at his place. Especially my throat. Damn, I wonder if he can pick me up a little bit early or if we can be a little bit late. I'm not sure I can deal with hours in public when I'm so close to him and so pent up. Swim trunks don't exactly hide erections very well.

Emmett arrives at 1:15 after I beg him to come as early as he can. He smiles when I practically pull him into the apartment and attack him. "Damn boy, it's nice to see you too" he says when I give him a second to speak.

"Missed you a little bit."

"Missed you too, Finn. What if I get you onto the counter and show you just how much?"

Divine, it sounds divine. "Please." I don't care if he wants to fuck or suck me off, I am desperate and will take anything right now. I just need him. He lifts me as I jump and my hand pushes my mail onto the floor. He's a gentleman and picks it up.

"What's this, darling?"

He has my John's Hopkins letter on which I've written 'canceled' across the top. "Just an appointment, they didn't send it to me until today and thought I could just waltz in there Monday with no notice. I'll go when I'm back in Michigan."

He backs up and leans against the back of the couch, letter still in hand. "Is this about the leukemia?"

"Yeah, it's nothing, just my scans and blood work. I just did them 6 months ago, Emmett, I'm fine." I do NOT want him to freak out about this but we haven't really talked about it since he found out.

He doesn't seem quite ready to drop it. "Can't they get you in later in the week or something?"

That had been my thought too but "nope, it's Monday or two months from now. Really Em, it's not a big deal. You're supposed to be over here ravaging me."

But he's not and makes no move to pick up where he left off. "I don't like it, Finn. I don't like thinking about you in Michigan and I definitely don't like you missing your appointment. Why can't you go on Monday?"

"Because I have a job, Em. I can't just cancel my morning."

He puts the letter back on the counter, steps back and crosses his arms over his chest. "You're the Vice president, I think you probably can. Look, I'm probably overstepping--"

"We did talk about you micromanaging my life, Emmett."

"This isn't what you wear or if you cuss or what time you come home from work, Finn, it's important. I really need you to call them back and tell them you'll keep the appointment. Don't brush it off, please."

I would go if I could, it's just not worth the trouble.  "Look, I get that you're concerned about my health and it's sweet, really, but this isn't a big deal."

"It is to me. If you don't want to do it for yourself, will you do it for me?"

How am I supposed to say no when he puts it like that? After all he's done for me? And it's not like he's asking me to do something I don't want to do or shouldn't, quite the contrary. "Is it that important to you?"

"It is. It's going to drive me fucking crazy, Finn, and I much prefer all the other ways you make me crazy."

I don't like seeing him upset, especially when I can fix it.  "Fine, if it's gonna keep you up at night I will call. They may have already given it to someone else but I will ask." He smiles and relaxes a bit and I pick up my phone. Ten long, mostly 'on-hold' minutes later I am re-booked. "All set, can we get back to important things now?"

"We certainly can."