Slushies and chalk

Finny:

I have special markers that only color in the book they come with, some chalk that daddy says has to wait until we get to the house but that I can decorate around the pool any way I want, some little plastic dinosaurs that I love so, so much, and some glow bracelets! They're for tonight too. "Daddy?"

"Yeah grasshopper?"

I'm a little wiggly but not bouncing. My seat belt is on. "How much longer? Can we go to the beach when we get there?" We crossed the bridge already and that feels like hours ago.

"Can't see the gps from back there? Twenty nine minutes and no, no beach today. You needed a break from the sun so we are going to stay at the house, unpack and play for awhile and once the sun is less intense we'll play in the pool, okay?"

I kinda wanna beach but I wanna play in the pool and use chalk too. "Kay. Can we order pizza?"

"No, I'm gonna cook. Let's save pizza for tomorrow after we've been at the beach all day. We'll be tired."

He has good plans even though I want pizza now. "Kay. Hey daddy?"

He chuckles. Maybe I'm asking too many questions. "Yes?"

"Are we gonna see Rhys and uncle Quincy tomorrow?"

"Do you want to? Tomorrow's their last full day, said they're leaving Friday around lunch. Probably checking out at 11."

I want to do everything. I want daddy all to myself but I also want to see Rhys. I want to spend a whole day in bed sleeping and having lovies but also want to go to the beach and eat ice cream and go to the arcade and show Rhys my dinosaurs and play in the pool and play more games and do chalk and and and... "If they're leaving I wanna see them."

"I'll text him tomorrow morning and see what they're up to. If you change your mind before then just let me know."

Perfect. "Kay." Daddy always makes things work. "I want a slushie. Can I have a slushie or a milkshake or something?"

"Oooh, frozen coffee sounds good. Dunks it is. They have strawberry and I think orange, we'll have to see when we get there."

Ten minutes later I have a strawberry slushie in my hands. It's big and has a huge straw and the best part? Whipped cream on top! We pull up at the house and I grab my stuff and daddy's backpack and go unlock the door while he gets all the heavies. Walking back in feels like we never left. "Daddy!"

"Yeah?"

"We left the floaties in the pool!" The beach ball is stuck in the corner and the little tube is upside down.

"I was hoping we'd be back and if not, figured the next folks might like them. I have two more in my bag, I'll blow them up too."

Daddy saying 'blow them' makes me giggle. He's emptying the cooler and I carry my suitcase upstairs and start putting things back in my drawers. It's easier than hanging. He comes up a few minutes later with his suitcase in his arms. "I'm so glad we could come back."

"Me too. I have to take my dishes downstairs." I want to use them for dinner. "I wanna chalk, please? It's shady!" It is too, mostly. Okay only a little bit.

"Wear your hat and keep your shirt on and sure, go ahead grasshopper. I'll come out when I'm finished in here and get your neck and legs with the spray."

It's mostly my cheeks, nose and shoulders that are still a little pink so I'll be fine. "And blow up the toys" I remind him.

"Yes. And after dinner we can swim and if it gets dark you can put on your glow bracelets."

"And you! So I don't lose you."

"Sure, you can decorate me however you want. Wait, I take that back. I forgot who I was talking to! I will wear some glow bracelets if you want, Finny."

That reminds me! "My tattoo, daddy, I need to find a place and make an appointment."

"If you're sure, I'll look around at reviews and make you one. How big?"

I run inside and upstairs and bring down my bag of shells. I pull my favorite out and show it to him. "I want this" I tell him, holding it against my arm. "Same size."

"Is this something I need to ask Finn about?"

Huh? Oh, he means... "No! Same me and I want it."

He holds his hands up in surrender and laughs. "Okay, just checking. Go make me a chalk picture."

"Kay!"

I make a rainbow because I wanna use ALL the colors, and a flower and then I remember my dinos. I run back in to grab them and make some trees and a lake and a volcano for them to play in. Daddy comes out after a million years, grabs the yellow and makes a sun. "Dinner's in the oven, we've got 45 minutes to play."

That's a long time. I hand him my triceratops even though it's one of my favorites. "Here you go."