Friday afternoon

Finnegan:

What a week! What a busy, frustrating, exhilarating week. Sunday was great. We had breakfast at a bakery on the boardwalk and got delicious coffee to sip while we walked. Eventually though we had to come home and that's when it all went downhill. That's not true, Sunday evening was fine. Work is when it got crazy.

I don't know I did on Monday because I accomplished nothing even though I spent the entire day running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Tuesday was booked solid with meetings and a few interviews. Wednesday I spent the morning finalizing a bid and spent the afternoon in DC. I got stuck in the worst traffic I've ever seen on way home due to an accident and didn't get home until almost 9. I don't want to talk about yesterday because Megan wasn't here and that turned almost impossible day into a complete shit show.

It's almost one o'clock on Friday and I haven't eaten lunch yet but I have no time because Emmett and I are looking at two houses this afternoon and we have to meet the realtor at the first house at 3. I have five hours of work to do before then and a twenty minute drive. What I'm about to ask him to do will make his day much harder but it's the only way I can see myself making it.

FW4: Em, any chance you can pick me up and bring me something to eat? Need to work and eat on the way to the house.

Daddy: You're lucky you're cute. Of course. I'll be in the parking lot at 2:35.

FW4: TY!

That makes everything a little more doable and I manage to only be seven minutes late getting downstairs. "Thank you Em, glad you have the day off."

"It's no problem, darling."

I try to do three things at once on the way to the house because I want to see the neighborhood, I have to eat something before I pass out, and I still have an email to finish. When we pull up I look at Emmett. He puts the car in park and looks at me. "I hate it."

He laughs. "It's a bit more, uh, rough than the picture looked but maybe the inside is great. We're here, let's give it a shot."

The house needs to be shot. This is why I didn't want to look at anything too cheap but the picture of the kitchen had me convinced to try it. The realtor is already there and opens the door as we walk up the crumbling sidewalk. We walk through and yes, the kitchen is nice although on closer inspection the finishes are cheap and what I thought was a nice backsplash is actually just some sort of wallpaper or something. I thank her for her time and politely tell her that she would waste a lot less of her time if she put more accurate pictures online.

"I can't believe you said that" Emmett says, chuckling, as he buckles his seat belt.

"Well it's true. This is why we need our own realtor. She would have checked this place out for us and known it's... well not what we wanted."

"But that takes all the fun out of it, Finn. Besides, I love seeing other people's houses, I have this weird fascination with how other people live and I love architecture."  That's news to me. There's still a lot about him that I don't know. "Besides, the next house should be great to balance out this one."

The second house is adorable. It's also next door, literally next door, to a drug store that's open 24 hours a day. Not 300 feet away is a fast food place and just down from that is the hospital. An ambulance flies by before we even get out of the car. "Em, you need to be more specific. The house looks cute. The neighborhood... no."

"Next time we'll use google street view. The realtor's here, we have to go in."

"We do not, that's what phones are for." His sign is on the front lawn and I call the number, politely telling him that no one wants to live next to a drug store and their asking price is ridiculous. Location, location, location. Well today was a bust. I rushed around and left work for nothing. "I should go back to work."

"No you shouldn't. I have no doubt that you're going to work tomorrow so take the evening off, Finn. Quincy and Rhys invited us to their place for dinner. I told them we'd have to see with the house viewings but--"

"Let's go!!" It's rude to interrupt but YES. "Please?" I need to change first; I'm still in my suit.

"Hold on." He's amused. "Let me text him real quick."

Soon we're off, heading towards our house. His phone chirps on the way and he lets me grab it. "He says they'd love to have us and they're both already home" I read. "Let him know our eta so he can plan dinner."

"I'll take care of that while you change. No way you're wearing a monkey suit to play with Rhys."

He's so thoughful. "Thanks Emmy."

Half an hour later we're on the road. We've been asked to bring a six-pack and some chips and they're now nestled in the trunk. "We're gonna see Rhys!"

He looks over at me quickly and smiles. "Yes we are. Should be a fun night."