Cars

Emmett:

If I ever move, I will make sure it's closer to a Target. They're hard to come by in Baltimore; traffic to the one near Finnegan's place will be awful, there's no way I'm setting foot in Mondawmin and White Marsh is too far so I'm stuck with Walmart since I don't have a lot of time after work to hit the store and get dinner started. That's okay, I don't need anything in particular, I just want a few things for Finn.

I go over my mental check-list as I walk into the store. Another cup or bottle, a t-shirt he might like and at least one toy that he can keep at my place. He mentioned Lego so that's always a possibility but I want to surprise him a little, maybe get him something he doesn't have. I remember him having a transformer at work and he apparently likes Spiderman and Batman if his undies are any indication. It gives me something to work with.

I find a bendy straw bottle with stars all over it that will have to do since bendy straws are nearly impossible to find. I also spot a Spiderman toddler bottle that's probably too young for him but it has a strap and it's adorable. Fine. As soon as I see this Deadpool shirt I know it's going to be mine, well, his:

 As soon as I see this Deadpool shirt I know it's going to be mine, well, his:

They don't have any cute briefs, just boxers, but that's what Amazon is for. I'll order him some tomorrow. Now, toys. I walk down aisle after aisle but nothing grabs my attention until the remote control cars. We can have little races and Marten will get a kick out of them. I toss them in the cart, grab a little Lego set that he can do while I'm busy, gets lots of batteries, and I'm out of there.

I've barely walked in the door when Finn texts that he's leaving work. It's early, for him, which is good but I... I need to relax. He can wait on dinner, he doesn't expect it to be ready as soon as he walks through the door. I keep telling him that everything's fine but maybe I need to remind myself. Instead of rushing into starting dinner I take the quickest shower known to man and get into some clean clothes so that I don't smell like grease. My hair goes into a manbun because it's just unsalvageable at this point and I'm ready. Now, dinner.

There's something Finn is going to learn about me tonight: I love mashed potatoes. Adore them. NEED them. All potatoes are scrumptious but there's something about meat, gravy and mashed potatoes that makes me glad to be alive. I've got most of them peeled when he knocks. "Hey Finn". I open the door wide and close it behind him, wondering what he'll do.

"I'm gonna get undressed if that's okay."

"Always. There's a shirt for you on the couch." I didn't have time to wash it but he'll live.

He hangs his jacket up and looks at the t-shirt while he's removing his tie. "That's so perfect!"

I can't stand here and watch him strip without wanting to put my hands on him. "Can we add another rule? I know, I know, I said I didn't want a bunch but babe, I'mma need to kiss you."

"I don't mind getting kissed, Em, so sure. Let me get comfy first and then we can make out to your heart's content. Seems like a good way to leave the day behind."

I sit down and pull him onto my lap till he's straddling me. He's practically naked, just in his boxers, and it gives me easy access to his delicate little collarbones, his nipples and the mounds of his ass. I can't help but give them a squeeze as I kiss him. "Much better, darling, thank you."

"I'm starting to like your rules Em, and I didn't mind you checking up on me about lunch either, I do forget fairly often."

So he caught that, did he? "I don't wanna overstep, just let me know if I do, okay?"

"I don't mind, it's sort of nice that you care." He grabs the shirt, smiles, and pulls it over his head. "You shouldn't have bought me anything."

There's more, he'll have to get used to it. "It's a shirt, not a Lamborghini. Want something to drink?" I did manage to get his bottle washed while I peeled the potatoes. We'll start with the star bottle and I'm planning on just leaving the Spiderman bottle around somewhere he'll see it. "I have kool-aid." They were on an end-cap at Walmart.

"No way! What flavor?"

"Orange."  It seemed safe, everyone likes orange.

"Yes please!" His eyes light up when I bring it out. Most of the bottle is clear so it's now orange and there are blue, white, gold and silver stars in all different sizes. "This is so cool! God, I sound like a moron, I'm sorry."

"No you don't, darling, I'm glad you like it."

"You shouldn't have gone to this much trouble, Em, but thank you. Can I help with dinner?"

Maybe. "Can you cut carrots? How are you with a knife?" I think I could do that when I was nine but is it gonna push him out of head space? I don't know yet.

"I think I can manage that, what are we having?"

"Pork chops, mashed potatoes and carrots, and gravy of course."

"Emmy, that's way too much! It sounds really good though." And it is. It only takes about half an hour, the chops are thin and are done by the time the potatoes are. We have to settle for canned gravy, I'm no chef, but everything tastes good and is cooked well. I call that a win. Finnegan eats with gusto before finally dropping his fork. "I'm so full but I want ice cream anyway. Do you have any?"

"I do, but later, okay?"

He seems unsure, as if he wants to protest, but he lets it go. "Okay. Can I get Marten now?"

"Sure, darling. Did you know he can play fetch?"

"No way! Really?"

"Really. I'll find his ball while you bring him down." They spend the next twenty minutes playing fetch while I clean up the kitchen and throw some laundry in. I can hear Finnegan's laughter all the way in the basement.

When I go back upstairs I open one of the little storage footrests. "These are yours, you can keep whatever you want in here. I can make you more space but this will get you started." Marten immediately climbs in and chaos ensues but eventually Finn pulls out the Lego set. "A car, awesome. I love cars! Thank you, Emmy."

"You're welcome." It went with the theme and I'm really glad he likes them because--

"Cars! Haha, they're remote controlled! Can I use them inside?"

"Of course. We can race each other and Marten."

He's already opening one and I grab the batteries. "I want the Mustang, is that okay?"

"Doesn't matter to me, I'll gladly take the Charger." It's amazing how much less inhibited he is tonight. I don't know if it's because of our talk yesterday or acceptance or just excitement over the toys but he's smiling and being absolutely adorable. I can't help but smile too which makes the trip to Walmart more than worth it.

Suddenly his shoulders straighten and he looks right at me. "Em, you have to let me pay for this stuff, please?"

Where did that come from? He was doing so well. "Please don't worry about it, okay?" I peck him on the lips and he ducks his head, then smiles at me.  

"Okay.  Thank you so much, I love them, the cars and the Lego and my shirt and bottle.  All of it.  It was really nice of you" he gushes.  "I'm really, really gonna wanna say thank you in the morning, maybe you should get me up early?"

Jesus.  Just the thought has me instantly hardening.  I want to throw him against the wall right now but  there are rules.  I'll wait.  He's more than worth it and we have some racing to do.