Waiting

Emmett:

I've been kicking myself since he walked out the door that night. He practically threw himself at my feet and admitted that he needed me which is always hard for him. He was exhausted and desperate for some love and attention and care and all I could manage to offer him was a meal. I'd already shut down and put us in a box in the back of my closet and I couldn't bring myself to torture either of us with another amazing night.

Part of me hoped he'd change his mind. That he'd call me Tuesday saying he couldn't do it, he didn't want to leave me and then beg my forgiveness for making me feel like I didn't really matter to him. I had this fairy tale ending in my head where he moved in here and we were a happy little family. Little. Even that doesn't make me smile.

He's been gone for two weeks. He's sent a few texts, letting me know he was home safe and that he was thinking of me. I responded but kept my distance because it hurts. Thinking about him makes me ache in all sorts of ways and probably will for awhile.

Everything at home reminds me of him. The stupid, adorable towels that he sent are in my linen closet. I have his tiny sheep undies because they were in the laundry and I haven't even reclaimed his drawer yet. His bendy cups and Spiderman cup are in my cupboard.  I can barely stand to spend time on my couch, honestly. We watched movies, snuggled and fucked on that couch. The problem is that he's everywhere, my kitchen and bed included. I can't even do laundry without thinking about him.

So I've been spending a lot of time at the bowling alley and work, hitting the gym more than I have in months, and doing everything I can think of to avoid going home. Peter has been staring at me all morning but he probably thinks I haven't noticed. Please. I survived for years in war zones by paying attention. No, we all paid attention, I just got lucky.

"You and Finn want to come over this weekend?"

That's a hard question but it's time to come out with it. I guess I just assumed that Finn had told Tristan. "He went back to Michigan."

"Oh. Well that explains a lot. How long is he gone for?"

It does? Am I that bad? Maybe. "Probably forever."

That gets his attention and he walks over. "What? What happened?"

It's a long story but it all boils down to the fact that "He was never supposed to stay." He just left sooner than I thought he would.

"But you two are so good! God, I almost left Tristan in Michigan when I came here. Can't believe I was so stupid. I thought we were too new so I didn't ask him to come. Did you ask him to stay, Emmett?"

"It wouldn't have changed anything. He's waiting to hear news about some, some thing and if it comes through he might be back. I don't really know how it all works but he didn't sound all that optimistic."

"Are you thinking about going there?"

Huh? "To Michigan?" No, why would I? For Finn, of course, but my whole life is here, just like his is there, except it's not. He'd be leaving for months or years at a time to go open new factories and then what? I'd just hang around and wait for him in Michigan? No thank you.

"Yeah, it's not bad. Winters are tough but you two can come up with ways to stay warm."

Not happening. "He didn't invite me, he mentioned a visit but not..."

He throws his hands up in the air but he's just goofing off. "It's like you're not even listening to me."

I know he's trying to help but "We're not you and Tristan. It's complicated. Our dynamic is... it's unusual."

"So's ours. Just hate to see you moping around and upset, Emmett. Offer for this weekend is still open, it would probably be good for you to get out."

It would be. "Can I let you know tomorrow?"

"Sure. And I'll have Tristan give Finn a call, see if he can weasel out some info for you."

That's not necessary but nothing I say will stop him. Tristan will call once he finds out Finnegan's gone whether Peter has anything to do with it or not. I can't imagine Tristan letting that one go. A car pulls in and it saves me from answering and luckily the rest of the afternoon is busy. Busy is very good lately.