House talk

Emmett:

I decided to wait until we're heading home on Sunday to ask him about the house. Houses, I guess, plural. I messed up by asking him about his tattoo yesterday but honestly I don't know how else to have gone about it. I needed to know. Either way it messed with his headspace and while he was big I got a brain dump of things that had probably been on his mind all week.

Longer actually, he mentioned buying a house in Baltimore when I first asked him to stay. It's a good thing that he wants to put down some roots, I can't complain about that but it feels like too soon. He has so much going on. But first, the vacation house needs to be dealt with. I can't stop him from buying it but "having a second house is a big responsibility, Finn. Isn't it easier just to rent whatever you want, when you want?"

He's been on his phone during the drive, probably doing work stuff. "Easier probably but it would be nice to keep our stuff there."

So he's not even gonna rent it out? Damn. "But the upkeep, pool maintenance, just cleaning it? I'd rather pack a bag, darling."

"Maybe, but they have folks who handle that stuff. I love it, Em."

"I do too but there are dozens of amazing houses. At the very least we should rent out a few of them at different times and make sure that's our favorite. Or if you're set on that one, why don't we see how often we actually get up here? It's not the most fun in the winter and you're so busy."

"Okay, we can put a hold on that one if you really want to."

As soon as he says it I realize that I've won and maybe I should have given him that one so I had some leverage about the Baltimore house but no, that's no way to handle a relationship. "Thank you." Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I have any right to have much say. I don't have to move in with him, of course, but he has every right to buy whatever. I don't know.

We cross over the bridge and I let him look; he's always fascinated by it, big or little. I'm just making sure I don't drive over the edge. There's this irrational fear that I think most people have when there's no margin of error. It's not windy today, thankfully, so it's no problem and were over in no time.

"You're thinking awfully hard Em, what's on your mind?"

"Moving. A house in Baltimore. I like my house, Finn."

"So do I, you should keep it. Then if my sister comes to visit and wants to crash you have an escape."

I can't leave it sitting empty, it'll get torn up, down and through. "Not that simple, Finn."

He sighs. "It is, you just won't let it be. And I get that, I do. You're a big, tough, self-sufficient man and I'm not trying to fuck with that but... I don't know. If we both have houses and want to live together, I'd rather do it in one with a security system and garage. I get that that seems difficult but I'm not asking anything, Em. You don't need to pay me a cent if that's what you're worried about. I just want you in our bed when I come home, and dinner sometimes. And lovies."

I'm no June Cleaver. Was that her name? "Maybe you need a wife."

He chuckles and it's the cutest sound. "I need a daddy. Maybe full-time but if you wanna work that's fine, that's your choice. But I'm more than happy to pay for everything, give you a credit card, whatever."

That's a lot to take in. A lot. My first impulse is to be pissed but really, at what? That he wants me to live with him? To take care of him? To not worry about money? But still, really? My wife comment had been a bit of a one-off but it's probably more true than I realized when I said it. But I think he'd resent me eventually, living off him like that. Not that I'd quit my job but still, money with us will never be 50/50. I knew that from the beginning. My mom didn't work and my father certainly didn't resent her for it. I just don't know.

"Can you help me figure out where to start house hunting? Which neighborhoods? I'd love to live closer to Tristan but I need to stay down near the factory and have access to DC and it needs to be close to work for you too. I don't know if we're better off near my old place because of the tunnel? I don't really wanna live downtown though, I want a yard and some privacy."

"I can definitely help you find a place, darling." And I will. It's the living there thing that's tricky. Maybe Catonsville will work for him since money isn't an issue. I stop at Dunks and get us each a treat because this day demands a frozen coffee.

My life could look completely different in a year. This life, my rowhouse and car and job are all what I built when I got out of the army. I didn't have anything except what I'd managed to save while enlisted and let me tell you, that wasn't much. Hazard pay or not, the army doesn't pay a lot. But I'm just not that guy; I'm not a monkey-suit-wearing, BMW-driving, bluetooth headset business guy. I think Peter's house is the fanciest I've ever been in, I'm not part of that world. I bet Finn's parents have a freaking mansion. I can't imagine having one or ever being comfortable in one.

"Em, if it's a problem, I'll just stay with you. If it's that big of a deal to you--"

"It's not." A problem. It's sort of a big deal. "You can buy whatever you want, Finn, it's the living with you that's tricky."

"Why? You invited me to stay with you and didn't want or expect me to help with the bills. I'm pretty sure I had to force you to take even half what you should be getting. Why is it different if I make the same offer? Because you're the tough top? Just because I like your dick up my ass means I'm incapable of... what? Making more money than you?

Ouch.

"Why does that statement make you bristle? It just is. You have better hair, I have more ink. You're a better cook and I make more money. Why is it nice when you offer to let me stay but complicated and tricky when I do it?"

He has a good point. Several. But mostly it's because "I already have a house, Finn, that's the difference. I can't just leave it empty" in my neighborhood, but that's just more fuel for his fire.

"Valid. So let me get a rental agency to handle renting it out for you. You can keep paying your mortgage and not deal with the tricky stuff. I need to pee."

"Next place I see. I'll think about it, okay? Can I have a week to figure things out?"

"Yep, no rush. Like I said, preferably before winter. Ooh, McDonalds!"

Why does it already feel settled? This boy...