Suits

Emmett:

I swear it feels like there's a different person in the car now. Luckily I like both of them but I feel like I'm dating twins and they keep swapping on me. You ever see the cheesy movies and shows they made about that? D.C. is now in our sights but I'm stressed because this is a bigger vehicle than I'm used to driving in traffic. Especially in DC, those granite curbs will pop a tire if you take the turn too close. I'm being careful.

"Em, can we stop at a McDonald's or something?"

I packed him a good snack and I know he missed lunch but I don't want to ruin his dinner. I almost say something but his tone wasn't asking, it was closer to 'I need to stop.' Maybe he has to piss. "Sure, next one we spot."

I pull in about five minutes later and he asks me to pop the trunk. He goes diving and then smacks himself in the forehead. "So stupid, I don't have real clothes. I though since we packed everything this morning... stupid. I'm so out of it. "I need a Men's Wearhouse or Jos. A Banks or something" he says, typing furiously into his phone. "Kohl's or Macy's will do in a pinch, maybe."

He has to wear a monkey suit to pick up something? That's as much as I got out of his phone conversation, that something was wrong and he's picking something up. Oh, and it has to do with money. Quite a bit of it. He hops back in, puts his phone up in the dash mount and we're off again.

"Come in with me? Shouldn't take too long."

Sure. I've been in one of these stores once. To rent a suit for prom. He walks in like he owns the place, throws his phone to the associate and says "show me what you have in these sizes please. I need to walk out of here fully dressed in... fifteen minutes."

"Certainly. Budget, Sir?" the man asks.

"There is none. Well actually, your higher end will be fine. Summer weight and I don't want polyester."

"Understood Sir. If you'll wait just a moment I can pull a few things for you."

He wanders over and looks at an entire wall of ties. I follow because what else am I gonna do? I sure as hell don't want anyone asking me if I need anything and the other option, if they see me alone, is to throw me out. I look like a total beach bum today, complete with sunglasses perched on my head. "I love ties" he says, smiling. "They're the fun part. Want to pick one for me?"

You know those kings and other big-wigs who had people taste their food so if it was poisoned, the lackey would die? That's how I feel right now. "I..."

"Go ahead. Something you think I'd like."

"Do any of them have sharks?" I tease.

He looks mortified for just a second and then laughs. "Maybe. Honestly, maybe. They have just about everything. Just grab like ten that you actually like. I need more clothes anyway, left most of my stuff in Michigan."

My alternatives are either to stay here or go to the huge rolling rack the dude has just brought out. There are like 15 jackets and just as many slacks. There are shoes on the bottom shelf and even socks. Okay, he really has thought of everything. I decide to pick ties. He must have asked Finn what color shirts because he's grabbing about a hundred of those now. Geesh.

I get two really boring ties and eight that are more fun. You know, as ties go. One is a purple floral that's pretty cool and I find a neat olive geometric one. I mean, he can't hate all of them, or own all of them. I grab a few blue because he wears a lot of it and a really snazzy silver, black and maroon one. Fancy.

Finn is in the dressing room when I head over. They offer me a drink and a chair. I take the drink but I've been sitting on my ass for long enough and could use a stretch. Then I'm smart and use their restroom. When I come back, Finny is trying on shoes. "Two white, a navy, a maroon and any shirts he wants for the ties, please" he tells the man who must work on commission because I think he'd give Finnegan a kidney or his eldest daughter right now. "Em, I'm getting light grey, beige and navy and you know what I have at home. Pick me a few shirts to make things work, please."

I can do this; actually, it's like putting a photo together. The gentleman is nice enough to lay out the suit jackets so I can see them and I grab him an olive shirt and go crazy and get lavender. He may not wear it but he would look really good in it. Somehow, five minutes later he is dressed to the nines and we are back in the car. Seriously, he puts the army to shame. That was a heck of a drill.

"Sorry for the pit stop, Em, thank you."

"No worries, glad you got what you needed."

"I wanted to get you one so badly but we don't have much time and don't know your sizes. But one of these days, when life slows down a bit, I'm gonna hook you up."

"It's not nice to threaten me, darling. What have I done to you to deserve that?"

He looks over and I spare him a glance and grin at him and he smiles back. "You'd look amazing. I mean, damn, you look good now so... maybe you're right, we'd never get out of the house."

Well if he's loving the idea that much, maybe. Maybe once. For him. The DoD complex is huge but we get through security and he asks me to just drop him at the front of the building and swing back around in a few minutes. That I can do, I have no interest in going inside. He's not back yet when I drive by the second time but he is the third. "Get everything?"

"Yes, and I checked the damn year so hopefully we are good to go. Purchase orders are a huge pain. They're electronic but you still need the stupid paper. What's the point? I'm sorry, I need to stop by the bank too, let me call them."

There's not a bank in the world that will be open by the time we're in Baltimore but a few minutes later he tells me they're staying open for him. Weird, this is not the world I live in.

It's taken us all damn afternoon but a little after seven I finally pull up in front of my house. I expected to be here two or three hours ago but we made it. "If you get my backpack and your garment bag I'll get the suitcases."

It's really too much for one trip but I'm done with being in this car, as nice as it is. I want to be home. I take our shit upstairs and when I come back down, Finn is stripping out of the monkey suit and then practically attacking me. He kisses me like he hasn't seen me in a month and I do not mind one bit. We end up on the couch, him straddling my hips. "Thank you Em, for today. You helped so much. I think I would have, well I don't know what I would have done without you. Probably cried."

"No, don't say that." The thought of him crying is enough to do me in. "Now, I need to make some dinner. Time for real food, we've been eating like crap."

"I want to argue but how can I argue with you cooking? I just hate that you drove the whole way. Let me help?"

"Sure."