Water

Emmett:

After our walk last night Finnegan crawled into bed with his clothes still on and declared he was too tired to move. I undressed him and got him into his undies and all of a sudden he was awake enough to need a story. I didn't mind, I was curious to see what was going on with our demigod.

It's now after 8 and he's still asleep. I was more than happy to find coffee grinds, sugar and some creamer packets in the kitchen this morning. After I could open my eyes and get them to focus, I left Finn a note and took a quick walk, letting my nose lead me. I ended up at a little bakery and came home with enough food for four. I ate a croissant sandwich, checked on Finn, and then blew up the pool toys and tossed them into the pool. If I'd known we were gonna have our own I would have bought more. That's okay, they sell that stuff in every other store around. I grab another cup of coffee and go upstairs, staring out the balcony door. I was right, you can see the ocean.

"Morning daddy."

He sounds adorable. "Morning darling, how'd you sleep?"

"So good. I never wanna get up but I'm excited. Hey, come back to bed!" He's got his tongue sticking out the side of his smiling mouth just a little bit and his eyes are sparkling. I know what he wants but I'm also in the mood to mess with him.

"I'm not tired."

"But, but I want yummies!!"

Yummies? I'm pretty sure I know what he means, it's funny that he keeps changing what he calls our morning fun. "Is that so? I went to the bakery and got you some yummies." I'm proud of myself for managing to keep a straight face.

He sits up and stretches, pouting. "Fine. No yummies. Is it pretty out there?"

I'm not sure if he means the view or the weather. "Gorgeous" works for both. I suddenly realize that I just got outwitted and lost to a 9 year old. I guess that means no blow job for me although if I went over there I'm sure he'd oblige.

He walks over and stands next to me and I can hear his intake of breath as he looks out the window. There's no doubt in my mind that his mouth is making a little 'o'. "The ocean! Can we go to the beach?"

"Of course but you need some breakfast first." He drops to his knees and this time I don't argue except to make him get up on the bed so I can ravage him as well.

When he gets downstairs he immediately opens the slider and runs out. "Toys! Did you bring those daa—Emmy?"

He's outside and he's worried about people hearing him. "I did. There's more on a chair but they can wait for another day." Or not, he's walking out barefoot. The deck is fairly clean but I should sweep it and double check.  I should be watching him or doing that now but I finish warming up his sandwich, drop it on the table and then walk to the door. He's holding a water gun and shoots it straight at me. The little rascal! I shut the door but not before getting a wet stripe the whole way across my stomach. Oh no, it's on. I run out while he's reloading and grab the other one. "You're in trouble now!!"

He looks straight at me, unloads his gun and runs back inside and I haven't even gotten mine loaded yet. He knows I won't shoot him inside so he's progressed from a rascal to a little shit. I put my gun down, put my hands up in surrender and he opens the door. I will get him back for that.

An hour later we're walking down to the beach and I'm holding his hand. That's why Rehoboth is the place to be. I have my bag with our towels, sunscreen and necessities and I can tell that Finn is doing his best to not run. He surprises me when he says "Is it okay if I'm little?"

"Of course darling, I expected you to be, at least for a lot of it."

"Okay, that's, that's nice of you Emmy. I need it."

He's had a rough two weeks. "I'm sure you do."

"But I want to do what you need, too."

This again. This horrible insecurity that he can't seem to get past. I pull us to the edge of the sidewalk. "Finny, it has killed me to not be able to help you more the past few weeks. I want to take care of you, no I need to take care of you. That's all I want to do on vacation. I want to spend some time with you, ravage you, and take care of you. You're easier to take care of when you're little, you know."

He's looking down at what must be a very interesting rock so I let him off the hook and we keep walking. As soon as we hit the sand he takes his flip flops off, then races down towards the cooler damp sand. I find us a spot, put our stuff down and then walk out to meet him. "I've never been in. I saw the Pacific once in Sacramento, went to the pier. I flew over it to Europe but I've never actually touched it."

"Finny? Look at me." He may sound more adult right this second but this is important. "I know you can swim but you need to listen to me, okay?"

"Kay."

"The tide is going out. It pulls, hard. The sand moves beneath your feet and some of those waves will knock you right over if you're not paying attention. Be careful, okay? Stay with me until you get used to it."

He smiles up at me. "I'll be careful, I promise."

Good. I can't wait to watch him experience this. He's done so many things and can do so many things that chances like this are rare. It's going to be an amazing day.