⠀⠀𝟯𝟴. ❛ THE MASK OF NIGHT ❜

EXPEDITE ▇▇▇▇ VOLUME TWO
━━ ❛ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒔𝒌 𝒐𝒇 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 ❜

EXPEDITE ▇▇▇▇ VOLUME TWO━━ ❛ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒔𝒌 𝒐𝒇 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 ❜

chapter no. 038!

 038!

     DID SHE KNOW WHERE SHE WAS HEADING? No.

     Did it matter? Not really.

     The sound of bare feet hitting gravel softly echoed in the night. Arms were wrapped around her torso as she attempted to keep herself warm. The hair on her legs was sticking straight up as she was beginning to regret storming out of the apartment.

     Even though she had lived in Central City for over a year before, she still managed to forget how cold it got in October.

     White puffs of air fell from her lips as she shivered, a mess of damp curly hair flowing behind her. The cold licked at her face and crept under her clothes, spreading across her skin like the lacy tide on a frigid winter beach. With pale pink lips that were cracking, she sighed heavily, watching as a flood of fog fell upon her.

     There was hardly a soul in sight, seeing as it was a little over midnight.

     Never before had the woman ever seen the streets of Central City so deserted. No cars, buses, bikes, scooters, or skateboards were in use and not a sign of human life, except for her. The only light source in the lonely night was the streetlamps, illuminating the sidewalks with a dusty yellow color.

     Casting her chocolate-brown eyes across the street, she slowed down her pace, her gaze locked on a tree in the middle of Central City Square. Without looking both ways, Piper made her way across the street. Crossing from the dry sidewalk to the frozen grass, she barely noticed that the coldness that had been clinging to her had disappeared.