Smithereens Pt.2

Sharp pain in his shoulder.

White noise.

Tears.

He wakes up.

Peter slowly turn his head around the hospital room. May and Tony occupy the chairs, sleeping. He looks at the clock, blinking sleep from his eyes. 2:36 A.M. His neck hurts. He looks down to see his shoulder bandaged. One of his eyes have taped cloth over it, and he can tell he busted his lip open.

He swallows, and his throat feels like it's coated in chalk dust. Peter's looks around for a glass of water and sees one on the bedside table. He tries to lift his arm and it doesn't move. After trying a little harder, he manages to lift his arm up. It gets so exhausting that Peter has to drop it after a few seconds. His eyes drift closed again, and Peter feels himself drift to sleep slowly.

He wakes up a few more times over the next few hours, each one with less recollection of the last. Eventually he wakes up with enough energy to slowly sit up. Tony and May weren't in the room, and instead, Ned sat in one of the chairs, looking at his phone.

"Ned," Peter whispers through clenched teeth. 

Ned glances up and gasps. "Peter!"

Peter smiles weakly.

"...How are you?"

Peter snorts, smirks, and then lifts his hand to make an "Ok" sign. Ned laughs and walks up to the side of the bed.

"Is my healing back to normal?" Peter asks through a quiet whisper.

Ned shakes his head. "No. They don't know what's wrong," he says.

Peter frowns but nods. "What happened after I was knocked out?"

"The guy thought he ki-killed you, so he ran away," Ned explains. "I... I thought I lost you for a second, Peter."

Peter shakes his head through closed eyes. "Y'could never lose me. 'M your best friend," Peter mumbles. He raises his hand and they do their handshake. Ned has tears in his eyes, and Peter frowns when he opens his eyes. "W's wrong?"

Ned shakes his head and squeezes Peter's hand tightly. "Thought I lost you."

Peter sits up a little more, causing pain to his ribs. He hisses through clenched teeth and he leans forward to hug Ned.

"You'll never lose me, Ned. I promise."

"I love you, Peter."

"I love you too, Ned."