The Stars Have Pride

a/n: there are ... a lot of very scary things happening in the world right now, so I would like to start off by saying:

•this is a safe space. 

•you are loved here.

•sometimes it's healthy to get away from the news, so let me reassure you that right here, right now on this story, I will *not* be writing oneshots about any of the more upsetting current events (but that does not mean they do not exist, if you are able to donate to any causes—please do!)

now, without further ado, have a pride month fic about Peter and his journey through finding out that Han Solo and Princess Leia are equally as cute. please enjoy, stay safe out there pals :-)

Peter is four years old when he first watches the Star Wars movies. After begging his mom and dad, promising to stay quiet and polite— he went to the theatres to watch the new film with the creature that talks funny and goes by the name of Jar Jar Binks.

When he went to sleep that night, he dreamt of hyperspace and fast flying ships, and he felt the need to collect as many toys from the franchise as possible. Figurines of Obi-Wan Kenobi, mostly, because he was his favourite. A homemade cardboard lightsaber leaned against his bedframe, which was battered and torn from the hours of wacking trash cans with it as he trained to be a Jedi.

These are the same toys that Peter held in his arms when he was at his Uncle Ben and Aunt May's house, when the rain was pouring and Peter didn't understand he would be saying goodbye to his mom and dad for the last time.

Peter was seven when he had discovered the original movies, and he felt his heart race with excitement all over again. He had tugged on Ben's sleeve, pleading to watch the films on the old television set up in the Parker's living room.

He fell in love with the stories all over again, joy filling his little heart as he watched the characters battle and fight through seemingly impossible obstacles, letting his eyes light up with the wonder of science and space. That's not to mention the crush he had on Princess Leia, who he thought was the second coolest lady in the universe.

His room continued to grow with figurines, adding Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa to his toybox. Posters of the Death Star hung in his room, and glow in the dark stars were plastered to his ceiling with the help of Ben to help fuel his dreams of being the one in space, controlling the fastest ship in the galaxy.

Peter was thirteen years old when he was watching The Empire Strikes Back, his favourite of the movies, with his best friend Ned.

Things were different now. He was trying to figure things out. How life was going to work without Ben. How life was going to work without being... normal. His wrist hurt thinking about it, even though the spider bite he had gotten a few months ago was long faded away.

He was focusing now on the craftsmanship of the film. The way the actors did such an amazing job with their characters, the way the sets look so realistic, the way the writing is brilliant for the story they're trying to portray—

"Leia is like, so hot," Ned speaks up. "Right?"

"Yeah, sure. She's cool as hell," Peter says with indifference. His childhood crush on the Princess had mostly faded away into a strong admiration.

Ned hums in agreement. "Do you think Leia is more attractive or Padme?"

Peter shrugs.

They fall back into a comfortable silence, with Ned deciding to focus back on the movie instead of bothering Peter with conversation. Ned knew that sometimes Peter just didn't like to talk; especially recently. Ned is okay with that. He's always okay with that.