Gunshot Wound

Spooktober.02

A gentle knock on the window is what interrupts Michelle from her thoughts. She looks up from her book, looking towards the dark night with confusion. Upon closer inspection, she sees the faint outline of someone in red. This is what sparks her concern.

She quickly puts a bookmark in between the pages and gets up from her desk, hurrying towards the window. Peter doesn't like to bother her with "superhero stuff" unless absolutely necessary, especially when it's so late at night. Whatever brought him here at this hour was most likely critical.

MJ opens the window, leading Peter inside by his arm. "Are you okay?"

Peter pulls the mask off his head and grimaces faintly. "Yeah! Yeah. I'm okay. I'm totally cool."

Because that sounds so convincing, MJ narrows her eyes and quickly looks Peter over for injuries. As suspected, there's an odd hole that looked as if it was burned in to the side of his--

"Peter," MJ warns with wide eyes. "Is that a bullet wound?"

"That depends." Peter shifts uncomfortably, and MJ would laugh at his shyness if she wasn't terrified herself. "What would you say if it was?"

Michelle Jones likes to think of herself as relatively intelligent. She goes to a gifted academics school, she's on a decathlon team, and she loves to research all kinds of things in her free time. Things such as history, old murder cases, and anything else of the dark academia variety.

Something that she doesn't have knowledge on (which she's now learning quickly that she should) is apparently how to treat gunshot wounds. Her brain is working incredibly fast now, trying to think of a plan on how she's supposed to help him.

"Okay," She says. "Okay. Um...Take the top part of your suit off. Why didn't you let May patch you up? Peter, she's literally a nurse."

Peter lets the suit half fall down his chest, and then ties the sleeves around his waist. "Didn't want to worry her. Plus, Ben... It would hurt her more than it would hurt me."

MJ is about to bite back a response, because she's stressed and it's too late to be worrying about her boyfriend dying because he's too selfless and stubborn for his own good. She takes a deep breath and types how to treat a gunshot wound into the search bar of her laptop with shaking hands.

The first link that shows up is something she's already visited before, but that was when she was doing a writing assignment for an online criminology course she took months ago, and this was a very different situation. Now, her best friend was on the floor of her bedroom and there was a seared hole in his abdomen, and there was no time for MJ to scream or panic.

"Okay. Okay. Would you say this is a severe gunshot wound or a minor one?" MJ asks. "I mean, every gunshot wound is technically severe but--"

"Minor," Peter interjects. "It didn't hit me from a close distance, and it bounced off something else. Plus, it stopped bleeding."

MJ stares at him with awe, and then nods. "Sure. Sure, okay. Okay."

She gets to work.

The first thing the website says is to remove the bullet. MJ can see that it's visible, and Peter said it wasn't minor, so she's hoping it will be fine. She leaves the room quickly, grabbing pliers, rubbing alcohol, and a first aid kit. MJ wonders in some distant corner of her mind if she's ever moved around her house that fast.