Movies

Spooktober.30

a/n: why do I always wait until the last fifty minutes to write these,,;; my scheduling needs some revaluation, dude

Peter jilted backwards on the couch, gasping sharply. His heartbeat thud loudly in his ears.

The room was dark as the movie played on the screen in front of them. Tony snorts beside him as he throws popcorn at his face with an open mouth.

"Don't laugh at me," Peter says, playfully kicking Tony's arm. "This movie is terrifying, and I've never seen it before. You have."

"Sorry, sorry." Tony smiles and bites down on a handful of the popped kernels with a crunch. "I just didn't expect you to jump so much."

On the screen, the faded picture of the retro camera film showed the cheesy murderer throw an axe at the wall. Peter jumps again as the orchestral score screeches to rev up suspense. Tony tries not to laugh again.

"It's not like I can tell when the jumpy parts show up!" Peter says, laughing a little himself despite the way he needed to catch his breath after the scare. "My sixth sense only works on real danger. It's weird not knowing when something is about to happen."

Tony hums in equal parts amusement and curiosity. "Interesting."

Peter turns back to the film, enraptured in the story. He leans forward as the conflict builds, with the soon-to-be victims running fast through the scene.

The camera spins around to the murderer, and suddenly the victims are being chased.

"Go to go go—" Peter says quickly. "What are you doing?! Get up! Stop tripping on stuff, he's gonna catch you!"

The corner of Tony's mouth quirks up and he leans over to ruffle Peter's hair. "You're a funny kid, Pete."

"By funny, you mean smart, right?" Peter scoffs, shaking his head. He takes the popcorn bowl from Tony's hands and throws a few kernels into his mouth. "This is so stupid. It's not even scary."

Tony raises an eyebrow, still sporting a smirk. He then sits back and watches Peter instead of the screen, knowing what's about to happen.

Peter watches intently, shoveling popcorn into his face by handfuls. His eyes are wide and a glossy reflection of the movie is visible from where Tony is sitting on the couch.

The next scene plays.

The last victim is alone now, and she managed to escape the forest. As she starts to follow an empty road that heads back into town, Peter makes a distant comment on how she was safe.

The woman looks around the quiet street, walking quickly with ragged breaths. It's otherwise silent, except for the crunching of popcorn and the edited sound effects of what Hollywood would call "nighttime forest ambience."

The woman stops walking suddenly.

"What?" Peter says, his voice quiet as his attention is completely divided towards the film. It was clear he was just murmuring whatever he was thinking, and he probably didn't even know he was talking.

Tony doesn't say a word. He wouldn't miss this for the world.

The woman looks around again, and she turns to look behind her when the killer jumps forward at the screen.

Peter flinches back so hard that the popcorn bowl hits him in the face, popped corn kernels flying all over the back of the couch. He lets out a startled yelp as it all happens, and his chest is rising and falling fast.

Tony absolutely loses it, cackling and throwing his head back. Peter, after the second of terror, joins in on the laughter and fishes popcorn out of his hair.

"Screw you!" Peter laughs as he throws the popcorn back at Tony. "I thought I was safe!"

Tony just gives him one of his fatherly grins and pulls Peter close, ruffling his hair again. "Oh, be quiet. You're always safe with me, kid."

And really, who is Peter to disagree?