Sick In Captivity

a/n: I've been binge watching 9-1-1 so this is the result of that (don't say anything about the show or I'll chomp your kneecaps. I want no spoilers.)

⚠️Earthquake TW⚠️

Spooktober.20

Peter was not doing well.

It's dark and cold in the basement of Avengers Compound, and Peter is shivering as he tries not to cough. Tony is trying his best to navigate them out.

See, the problem is this.

An earthquake had hit about one hour ago, making the floor fall through. This wouldn't have been a problem if Tony was able to call his suit, but they were all in repair after the battle.

So rubble had them trapped in the basement.

To add on to this, Peter was sick and also trying not to have a panic attack. So things were definitely not good.

Tony had done something to his leg when they had fallen down a floor, because it was bleeding through his jeans and was hurting a heck of a lot.

But none of it mattered when he looked over at Peter, sneezing and sniffling while trying to keep his breathing in control. It didn't help when dust was in the air and making hard for both of them to breathe clearly.

Nevertheless, they persisted.

Tony tried moving some of the rubble away, but most of it was too heavy to lift without the suit.

"Mr. S-Stark, I can try and lift it," Peter adds as he watches Tony catch his breath after trying to lift a broken piece of floor.

"No," Tony insisted. "You can't exert your energy. Focus on your breathing, kid. I'll get us out of here."

Peter, too tired to do anything else, nods and closes his eyes to focus on breathing evenly again.

As much as Tony hated to say it, he knew the only way to get out was to wait for help. But he needed to get Peter to safety, for he was to weak to get there himself.

Peter coughs harshly, from either dust or the bacteria in his throat from being sick. It still makes him lean over on his knees. Things were getting worse for him in this condition.

Tony frowns.

It's at this moment where an aftershock decides to take place, making the ground shake. Tony lunges for Peter and pulls them both underneath one of the desks in the the basement.

More of the building crumbles to the floor, and Peter is flinching hard at everything. "Mr. Stark, we have to get out of here. I have to try and lift it."

"No, Peter. You need to—"

"Rest?" Peter interrupts. "We're either going to die under a building or I stay sick for a little while longer. You have to let me do this."

Tony shuts his mouth at the tone. Peter wasn't kidding around, but he was definitely putting on a mask.

The truth was: Peter was scared. He was terrified of being under rubble. It made it better that Tony was beside him this time, but he still made sure his eyes weren't closed for too long, or else he would start panicking.

Tony nods silently, and Peter gets up. His limbs are shaking from overexertion already, but he kept moving. At this point, the only thing that kept Peter from completely collapsing was his senses screaming in his ears that they needed to get out. They needed to be safe.

Peter starts lifting up the rubble, and his arms were shaking even more. This was one of the only times where Tony had seen him at his physically weakest, and he hated it.

Suddenly, the rubble started falling. Tony widened his eyes. "PETER—"

It had been too late, and before Peter could dodge or move, a large light that had fallen previously, hit Peter in the head.

He collapses to the floor, and Tony rushes over to him. "Peter! Hey! C'mon kid, wake up."

Peter's head was bleeding. Tony tried not to think about it.

Somehow, there was a pro to this circumstance they were in.

Because of Peter lifting the rubble, it had slid to a place where people could get to them. Instantly, firefighters started climbing down to the basement.

The firefighters had a stretcher set up, and went to go check Peter's vitals. They look up at Tony.

"Sir, are you hurt?" One of them asks. Tony shakes his head quickly.

"No, I'm fine, but Peter—" His voice came out fast and panicked.

"Is this Peter?" They ask calmly.

Tony nods again. "Yeah, that's Peter. He hit his head and you need to save him, he had a bad cold today and then he got hit by the—"

"Okay, sir. I'm going to need you to calm down. We're going to save Peter, don't worry. One of my squad is going to get you up and out of here, and then—"

"No, you don't understand. I can't leave him," Tony adds in quickly. "I can't lose him again and I need to make sure he's okay, I can't leave him."

"I know sir, but if you want us to fully pay attention to him then we can't be worrying about you too," The firefighter says firmly.

Tony hates that it's true, but as he looks down down at Peter he can't help but listen. He nods and follows another firefighter, who gets him out of the basement with a rope.

He walks out of the building fine, and gets checked up with some EMT who are set up outside.

Then it's just waiting. Patient, frantic waiting. Patient and frantic are two words Tony didn't believe could fit together, but it was the only way to describe how he was feeling as he sat in the grass.

He saw many of his employees outside; some of them hurt, with bandages or braces on their arms or legs. Luckily, none of them were too banged up from the earthquake. It seems everybody was on the first two floors or outside, probably because of the warning that had been issued across the city. It was a smart move. And after all, he only hired the smartest.

Finally he sees Peter wheeled out of the building, still unconscious. He jumps off the ground and quickly runs over to him. "Is he okay? What happened?"

"He's going to be just fine. He wasn't hit too hard. We're just going to give him some bandaging and clean up the wounds," Somebody informs him. Tony nods. "If he has any sort of extra symptoms, you should take him to the ER."

"Yeah," Tony says. "Yeah, of course. Thank you."

"Just doing our jobs," they all chime with tired smiles.

Tony looks back at Peter. He looks almost asleep. He smiles lightly.

He takes out his phone to pleasantly find he finally has service. Text messages start chiming in.

Most from Pepper and May. A few from Rhodey and Happy, and one from Morgan, texting from her Mom's phone. He texts everybody back, informing them all that they were all okay.

He sighs as he looks back up at building, which would need to be rebuilt for the third time. The construction company was either going to be pleased for business or extremely angry to redo all of their work.

Oh well.

Nothing mattered to him as long as his family was safe. He looks down at Peter with the comforting reminder that they are.

Peter was safe.

Fin.

I miss being able to name my chapters creatively :I