Freestyle

✨Spooktober.31✨

A quiet end to the month that seemed to pass so quickly.

The moon shines in a full beam of a light in the night sky, listening to the world in halves, waiting and watching for the time to grind back into it's peacefully chaotic normality.

Peter didn't do anything special to celebrate this year. He sat with his patchwork quilt family and watched movies, relishing in their way of making it okay, just for a moment, even when everything was so wrong.

Tony would braid Morgan's short hair for her princess costume, Pepper would pop the popcorn, May would pick a movie, and they would stay inside together with their mixed deck-of-cards way of living.

Peter would sit and watch, helping out when he could, but mainly just breathing in the serenity of a family night indoors. He had eaten some of the wrapped chocolates and other particularly seasonal things, but not enough to make his stomach sick, just the right amount to make his tongue faintly sweet.

Morgan had been put to bed hours ago, and everyone have more or less tiredly strewn out in the living room, talking occasionally in low voices that carried a warmth of a happy night.

He looks out the window, looking at the same moon. The same moon that rises in different shapes in the same pattern every night, bringing forth the same hazy star-dreaming glow of light; and he thinks about the past.

He thinks about how this day, years before, had been shaped and crafted in many different ways. How Halloween, or the end of October, was celebrated in a different way every year. And no version of today was better or worse than the others, they were all just... different.

Peter sighs quietly.

He's content with this patchwork quilt family, and he's happily one of it's patchwork pattern squares. He's happy, although this year, full of its tragedies and tumultuous hardships, had worn down at the way his brain used to work.

Despite all of it though, he was here, and he was looking at the same moon, and he knew happiness as it greeted him today like it was an old friend that visited once in a while but never stayed in the same place for too long.

It's not a lot to hold onto; but this year had given too much grief to even speak about. So he holds on tightly to the peace, to the hope, to the smallest sliver of light, and he will not let it go.

It will all be okay, one day.

Tony puts a hand on his shoulder and gives a worried smile, which is more common now, after he almost died on the battlefield and after he had lost Peter for apparently five years.

"You okay, kid?"

Peter smiles back, tentatively but a smile all the same. "Yeah. I'm happy."

"Good." Tony pulls his hand off of Peter's shoulder. "I'm happy too."

The clock strikes 12am.

A quiet end to the month that seemed to pass so quickly.

fin.

a/n: happy spooktober everybody, I hope you had one thing to look forward to this month, whether it was a text from a friend, an upload to a story, a new blanket, or just the sun (or moon) shining outside your window. stay safe, thank you all for reading along and posting sweet comments this entire month. i appreciate your support so much, and trust me, it does not go unnoticed. much love, have a good day/night💖