Arguments

Spooktober.23

a/n: nearly 2000 words of pure hurt/comfort, featuring queen aunt may being the wisest person in the room

"Why can't you just leave me alone?!" Peter shouts angrily.

Tony kicks back in his chair, silent. Peter gets angrier at this. He gets angry at the fact that Tony isn't reacting. He's just sitting there.

"Why can't you ANSWER me, Mr. Stark? Why can't you just say something? You shocked? Are you surprised that I can get angry? Because I can. I'm furious." Peter glares at him.

Tony takes a second, and then speaks up. "Why?"

Peter furrows his eyebrows, his posture tensed up from rage. "What do you mean 'why'?"

"Why are you mad?" Tony shifts in his seat.

"Because you don't understand!" Peter explains, throwing in his hands up in frustration.

"Understand what?"

"You don't understand that I don't want you to be this. I don't want you to act like my dad. I don't want any of it," Peter says coldly. "Okay? I don't—just—stop it."

Tony gives him a look of confusion and stands up defensively. "I don't act like your dad, Peter."

"That is not true," Peter argues firmly, his voice shaking. "That's not true at all. And you know it. You know it isn't true. You act like you're my dad whenever we go out on patrol together, or when we're working in the lab. You call me 'kid' constantly."

Tony clenches his jaw, not responding. He was confused, to be completely honest. Peter never acted like he was unhappy. He could read his kid like a book, and he never saw this coming. He knew he acted more fatherly towards Peter since everything happened, but he really didn't know it bothered him.

Hell, he even held Peter as he dusted away. They were close. Inseparable, almost, after the second snap. After the continuation of the Universe's biggest war. He felt hurt by Peter's words, but Peter doesn't stop talking.

"And you're not my dad. You're never going to be my dad, Mr. Stark. You're not my parent. Stop acting like it."

It struck Tony's heart. He felt betrayed. He felt sad. He masked all of it under faux anger and sarcasm, which was not an unusual habit.

"Well, gee," Tony frowns. "I wish you'd have told me that you wanted this to be some..non mentoring situation. Do you want another suit? Is that all you want from me? You want to use my tech? I thought you were better than that."

Peter's nose twitches. He clenches his fists. He knows Tony is faking anger. He knows that he hurt him. He feels terrible, but he needs to get his point across. "That's not what I'm saying. Are you even listening to me?"

"Yes, I'm listenin—"

"NO," Peter interrupts. "No, you're not. You're not listening to me. I don't want another suit. I don't want new tech. I'm not using your technology, all I want—"

"What? All you want is what? To come by whenever you break the suit while being reckless? To not have movie nights and all the crap we've been doing the last seven years?" Tony raises his voice slightly.

Peter frowns. The whole situation is breaking his heart. Something Tony says hits a chord. "Are you saying all of the movie nights and other 'crap' we did was useless?"

"Well, what do you think it was, Peter? You're saying you didn't even want any of the non business stuff to even happen. You were saying you wanted me to not act like a mentor. You said you wanted me to leave you alone."