Alone

Spooktober.20

Hot tears fell onto a cold grave.

The cemetery is empty, which made sense for the late hour of the night. Technically, the place was closed, but Peter had the ability to easily hop the fence, and he wasn't going to be disturbing any peace other than his own.

He was sat in front of the stone memorial, the moonlight shining through the cracks of the dark trees' branches surrounding the area. The wind was gentle and warm, making Peter's brain slower with grief than it should be.

"Mr. Stark," he starts with a croak. "Do—Did you ever feel alone?"

Peter felt alone. He didn't want to bother Pepper or Happy, both of them going through their own grieving process that he didn't want to disrupt. He didn't want to talk to May either, for fear that she just wouldn't get it.

He needed to be okay, because he had a city in the aftermath of ruins to protect.

"I don't know what you would tell me," Peter sniffs. "Nothing makes sense anymore."

Things had changed a lot in the five years Peter had been gone. It was subtle things, like stores he grew up with suddenly being gone, or murals that he used to pass every day being worn and faded on the brick walls of buildings.

He felt like he was grieving over the loss of his own life sometimes, having missed so much of the world.

"I—I'm still fighting. I think that's what you wanted, right?" Peter stutters, knowing he won't get a response.

Punch by punch, criminal by criminal, he was trying his best to make up for how long he'd been gone. He would spend hours a night some days, going to bed with swollen cheeks and cuts over his eyebrows, with bruises smothering his chest and arms.

Every muscle in his body ached, but he got up every day and did it again anyways.

Peter pulls his mask back on from where it was previously sitting beside him and lets his head bow tiredly in front of the memorial. "I miss you. I wish you could tell me what to do, Mr. Stark."

He was supposed to get up after that, but he instead rested his eyes for a few moments. Just a minute or so, and then he would swing back home. He ended up staying until early the next morning, where he was awoken by the flash of a camera.

That day, the number one headline on every news station and paper is about how the Spider-Man was found sleeping in a cemetery.

Most of the things said are not positive, instead shaming the masked vigilante for disturbing a sacred area.

Peter doesn't visit Tony's grave for the next four months.

Somehow, it makes him feel even more alone than before.

a/n: song fic,,, inspired by "No One Is Alone" from Into The Woods