Chapter 4

"Shh breathe Lena. You need to breathe before you have a panic attack." Beth says trying her best to calm me.

"I'm trying." I say through sobs.

"Want me to call Annie or Ruby?" she asks.

"Oh my god Annie!" I groan remembering I hadn't called her since I left.

"Can you call her and tell her everything? I'm sure she's worried. I don't want to talk right now though." I say as I try my best to focus on my breathing.

"I can call later, right now I'm just worried about you." she says.

"Listen mami. He isn't going to get you. Just try and relax." Rio says with a soft voice and my eyes instantly widen at the soft tone and I look up to see Beth with widen eyes as well.

"Now let's get going." he says and I simply nod my head.

Rio helps me stand out and I bite down on my lip and flinch in pain as the pain in my feet was now really bothering me.

"You can go ahead if you want, I might be a few minutes." I say to him.

"Feet hurt?" he asks and I nod my head.

"I could carry you out. Then I don't got to wait." he says simply.

"Oh um, that's not necessary." I say.

"I think it is." he says.

Before I can protest, he scoops me up and carries me towards the door.

"Do you mind?" he asks Beth.

She gives a nod before opening the door for him.

"Call me tomorrow okay and I'll call Annie tonight and let Ruby know tomorrow." she says.

"Thank you, be careful." I say and she nods before shutting the door.

Rio takes me out to his car and manages to open his door and sets me down on the passenger seat before closing the door and going around to the driver side. I click my seat belt in as he sits down and starts the car.

"No seat belt?" I ask.

"Hell nah, you really think i would wear one?" he asks and I shrug.

"Never hurts to be safe." I say.

"Did you need anything before we go?" he asks.

"I'm too scared to go to my apartment right now, so no." I say.

"You know I can go in for you, if that would help." he says.

"As bad as this sounds, I don't really want to be alone in a locked car or in my building." I say biting my lip. 

"Why does that sound bad?" he asks raising his brow. 

"Well considering you're a scary intimidating criminal and I would rather be next to you then by myself is crazy." I say and he simply chuckles.

"Well I could take you up?" he offers.

"With my sore feet, I think I'll pass." I say.

"Alright sweets, well here we go then." he says.

"Thank you for making this exception for me." I say as we drive towards the building.

"You needed it and I'm glad that I decided to do it to because after what I just heard, that son of a bitch deserves to be killed." he says in a serious tone.

"You don't even know the worst part and you already think he deserves death. Wow. I wish I had of left him sooner." I murmur quietly.

"What do you mean I don't know the worst part? I told you to tell me everything. I'm not playing. I need all the information if I'm going to help you." he says and I let out a soft sigh.

"I don't just tell anyone." I say quietly.

"I'm not just anyone." he says and I roll my eyes.

"I'm sorry I can't." I say simply.

He hits the brakes suddenly stopping the car in the middle of the deserted road.

"Then I can't help." he says looking over at me.

I contemplate for a moment before letting out a long sigh.

"Fine, he abused me for years and it wasn't until I found out I was pregnant that I realized something had to change and quickly. He told me he wouldn't do anything again and I really believed him. I believed he loved and cared about me and this baby. Then one day, he got mad  saying I cheated on him even though I didn't. Turns out he just really didn't want a baby and he wanted me to get an abortion but I didn't want to have one. I was already 11 weeks pregnant and had just found out we were having a boy thanks to a blood test. I was so happy. We ended up fighting and in the end, he pushed me down a flight of stairs and beat me. I ended up losing the baby and being in a coma for 2 weeks. I had a concussion and multiple broken bones. Once I woke up from my coma and found out I lost the baby, I told the cops everything and they put him away." I say swallowing back the sob that was ready to leave my mouth. 

"I'm sorry." he says softly as we begin driving again.

"You live and learn, I believe everything happens for a reason and in the end, I lost a baby in a tragic way but I'm also grateful that I didn't bring a child into that world and that I finally got away from him. That baby is my angel. He got to go back to a peaceful place and in return I finally got away from that monster.  Now I just want to keep it that way." I say.

"I'll make sure it stays that way. Don't you worry mami. I got you." he says reaching over and giving my thigh a soft squeeze.

"Why are you doing so much for me?" I ask softly.

"I don't know. There's just something about you that makes me want to make sure your never hurt like that again." he says and i give him a small smile.

"Well we're here." he says pulling up to the building.