Chapter 27

It's been 6 weeks since I last seen Rio and I wish I could say I had stopped thinking about him. Maybe it was because of the girls that I couldn't since they were still laundering money for him, to the extent that Beth had taken over Dean's position at the dealership leaving Dean to take care of the kids all day every day. Beth seemed to get more and more money hungry and wanting more power and it resulted in her pushing her kids, Dean and me away. She never spent much time with them and now that she was so involved with Rio, I had to keep my distance so I didn't have a run in with him.

I had spent the past 3 weeks doing my best to start fresh again. I decided to move closer to everyone and got an apartment close by that was within a 5-minute walk to my new job, which happens to be none other than a burlesque club. As much as I had loved working with animals, I had to admit I was really enjoying the fact that I got to use my exotic dancing skills and my voice which I had never done before. When I was 18, I had decided to take up learning pole dancing and aerial silk which I had enjoyed so much and had done well at until I had found out I was pregnant after everything I never did go back. Singing on the other hand, only close friends and family had ever heard which they always said I did so well but I never believed them until I met Camilla, the owner of the club. She had asked me to try and I did and not only did I get the job but she used all my talents to turn it into a very special show for her club that people paid extra to see.

I did shows with the other girls and but my shows were all my own singing and dancing using either a chair, pole or the silks and I loved every moment of it. It was my biggest distraction from Rio. When I wasn't at work, I did my best to go and help Dean with the kids with the agreement that we wouldn't speak about him unless it was important. I was struggling to not think about him. I missed him and I hated it. I wished the way I felt so safe with him and how comforting his blunt and sarcastic and careless self could be. I missed the way he touched me and the way he made me feel, always wanting more. I had tried sleeping with 2 other guys I had met while at work, but neither one of them could make me feel the way he did.

I was currently walking to work and when my phone started to ring. I quickly look to see Annie's name light up the screen.

"Hello my favorite sister." I say with a small giggle as I answer it.

"Hello my talent sister." she giggles back.

"What's up?" I ask as I near my work.

"Well I just thought I would let you know that me, Ruby and Beth will be at your show tonight." she says and I smile.

"That's great Annie, I'm really glad you guys are coming, especially Beth. I'm surprised she isn't working late." I say.

"She usually is, but she knows tonight is your big night and we all wanted to be there for it." she says and I let out a smile happily.

Tonight, was going to be my biggest, longest performance yet and they were charging $60 per ticket for my show and if it went good then it would only go up from there.

"Thank you." I say.

"No problem, we will be in the crowd when your all done!" she says.

"See you then!" I say.

As I reach my work, I open the door and walk inside to see Camilla and her boyfriend Derek who runs the bar.

"Hello my sunshine! How are you feeling? I know you mentioned some sleepless nights recently. Any luck last night?" Camilla asks coming over to me and pulling me into a quick but tight hug.

Camilla and me had definitely gotten close these past few weeks, she has been there and supported me with everything and she was a good friend to have around especially since she had nothing to do with Rio or even know about him. She and Derek had become like a second family to me.

"A little, but I feel great. My sisters and friend Ruby will actually be coming tonight so I'm pretty excited." I say happily.

"Oh, that's great sunshine! I'll make sure they get free drinks when they arrive, what are the names?" she asks taking grabbing her clipboard.

"Annie, Ruby and Beth." I tell her as she writes it down.

"Perfect. Well I will let you go get ready. Tonight, is your big night. If you need me you know the drill." she says smiling widely.

"Thanks Camilla." I say with a smile back.

"Anything for you, my star." she says before going back over by the bar.

I quickly rush out to the back and begin getting ready for the show.