Chapter 11

I sat on the couch, twiddling with my fingers as I sat there quietly, still trying to figure out how to say what I had to say. Rio had just gotten here and was currently quietly, patiently, sitting across from me which I had asked him to do instead of beside me.

"Mami, did something happen? Is something wrong?" Rio asks me gently and I look up from my lap to see his beautiful chocolate eyes filled with worry.

Still trying to form the right words in my mind, I simply nod my head.

"Which one." he asks and I bite my lip.

"Both." I murmur quietly.

So much for being strong.

It's not that I didn't want to tell him, I just wanted to tell him in the right way and I still hadn't figured out, what exactly was the 'right' way.

"What happened, Mami?" he asks me softly and I bite down harder on my lip, shutting my eyes and squeezing my hands together.

Do I just blurt it out?

Take him upstairs and take a test?

Apologize first or after?

Show him the DNA results?

Fuck.

I'm quickly pulled out of my thoughts as a warm hand is gently placed on top of my interlocked ones.

I open my eyes and look over to see Rio now sitting next me. Great.

"Mami, just tell me. Whatever it is, it's going to be okay." he tells me soothingly.

He's probably thinking of every possibility except the one it is, right now.

"I don't... I don't exactly know how to say this, so I'm just going to say it okay?" I tell him slowly and he nods his head.

"Please try not to be upset right now and before I tell you. I just really want you to know that I'm really sorry, I should have paid more attention, been safer. I did not mean for this to happen at all, I swear it. I love you so much Rio... but this... this is something that even my love for you, couldn't change it." I say as I watch a deep frown display on his handsome face.

"Whatever this is, Mami. I'm here no matter what. I love you and nothing will ever change that." he tells me before leaning over and placing a soft kiss on my temple.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes.

"I'm pregnant with your baby and I'm going to keep it." I blurt anxiously, terrified to open my eyes.

I hold my breath as I wait to hear his response, but when all I get is silence, I open my eyes to see Rio completely frozen, as pale as a ghost.

"Rio..." I murmur softly and I watch as his eyes travel up and down my body, settling on my stomach for a few moments before returning back up to meet my own.

"Your pregnant... with my baby?" he asks quietly and I nod my head.

"I...I... I'm sorry. I need some time to think right now. I'll be home later." he tells me abruptly getting up and practically running towards the door.

"Rio! Please wait!" I yell after him but he quickly slams it behind him.

I bite my lip, doing my best to hold the sob in my throat in. I swallow it back and quickly make my over to my phone, calling Beth.

"He left." I sob as soon as I hear her say hello.

"I'll be right there Lena." she tells me before hanging up quickly.

I throw my phone across the room as I drop down onto the floor, letting the sobs leave my body. I thought for sure I had prepared myself for this, but clearly, I had not. I had hoped so bad that he would be happy or comforting or encouraging but instead he couldn't even respond or be in the same room as me. Which means he probably was going to want me to get an abortion.

"Oh Lena!" I hear Beth shriek and I look up to see her running towards me.

How long had I been sobbing on the floor?

"Come here." she tells me as she drops down to the floor beside me, holding her arms out.

I wrap my arms around her, needing the comfort of my older sister as she stroked my back soothingly.

"Did he say if he is going to come back?" she asks me softly and I nod my head.

"He said he would be home later... he needed time to think..." I tell her as I begin to slow my sobs down.

"Well that's not terrible, Lena. It's understandable and he didn't say he was leaving or anything. He just needs time. Take some deep breaths and relax. Your hormones are just making you extra sensitive and you're not thinking clearly." she tells me as she pulls away from me.

She gets up and helps me up, guiding me over to the couch before leaving me and making her way to the kitchen. She puts on the tea kettle, before grabbing some Kleenex and the box of cookies she made me earlier and brings them over.

"Clean your face, eat a cookie, I'm going to make you some tea then we are going to sit back and watch White Chicks and laugh are asses off, alright?" she tells me and I nod my head with a small smile.

"Thank you, Beth." I tell her and she rolls her eyes with a smile.

"What are big sisters for?" she says with a laugh.

I just hoped Rio would be back soon so I could know what exactly was going through his mind and what the future would look like for our little baby, but for right now. I would enjoy the company with my sister.