Chapter 5

Rio goes up to a garage door and gives a honk and within seconds the door opens up and he drives inside. As the door shuts behind him he turns off the car and walks around to my door and opens it up before scooping me into his arms and beginning to carry me away from the car and towards a locked door.

There are people all around us doing the money process but they all seem to pause for a moment to look at me and Rio. Almost as if he is reading my mind, Rio suddenly turns towards them and gives them all a look that could kill and all eyes quickly drop and continue back to what they are doing.

"Once we are in here it will be quiet." He says unlocking the door before walking into the room and locking the door behind him.

He sets me down on a leather couch and I look around and take in the room around us. The whole area is like a small apartment or so it seems. There's a small but nice kitchen, 3 different doors leading to who knows where. There are a couple leather stools attached to an island by the kitchen and a flat screen TV across the room for where I'm seating.

"This is nice, I never would have expected this." I say turning back towards him as he leans against the island.

"What were you expecting little mami? He asks raising a brow with an amused tone.

"Honestly I was just expecting to crash on a floor of this abandon looking building." I say hoping he won't get offended and decide to kick me to the curb.

"Well when you have to spend most your time here, it makes sense to have a comfortable place to relax in." He says and I nod.

"Thank you again." I say.

"If you keep thanking me, I'm going to have to tape that pretty little mouth of yours shut." He says to me making me shiver.

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't be more thankful especially from you. When I called you, I honestly didn't even think you would hear me out let alone agree." I admit shyly.

"Then why call me hmm? If you expected me to say no anyway? Why even dare try?" He asks coming over to me and kneeling down in front of me so our faces are level with one another.

"I..I'm not sure. I was desperate. I was scared." I say.

"So why call me? I'm the scary intimidating gang leader, right? I mean why not go straight to the cops? The people trained to protect." He asks pushing a strand of fallen blonde hair out of my face.

"Because... because... they don't make me feel safe and that's all I wanted in that moment." I blurt before slapping a hand over my mouth as my eyes go wide.

Why the hell did I just say that?! Rio takes my hand away from my mouth and sets it down on my lap before stroking my cheek.

"You really are honest, aren't you?" He says softly and all i can do is nod, scared of what I could say next.

"So just so I got this straight. You didn't call the cops because you wanted to feel safe?" He asks and I nod.

"So, you call me? What about me makes you feel safe? I've threatened you and your family and friends lives. Yet here we are." He says giving his head a small shake as he chuckles at the thought.

"Well I knew you had this place and I figured this is probably the safest place for me." I say simply.

"Is that all? Because I'm sensing a little more to this story." He says raising a brow.

"No that's all." I say doing my best to make it sound realistic.

"Come on mami what happened to being so honest?" He asks.

"I am being honest." I defend myself.

"You're not telling me everything now I'm going to give you one more chance before things get heated in a way that won't make you feel safe and that's what you want right?" He says and I sigh.

"Something about you just makes me feel safe. Maybe it's because you're so dangerous and would kill someone in seconds so if Jeff came at me... you could handle him... you could protect me..." I say looking down at my hands as my heart starts to race.

"I could but that doesn't mean I will." He says.

"I understand. I shouldn't have even given that a thought. My mind is always racing a million miles a second and I get crazy thoughts all the time. I really should stop listening to them. I mean hell if I had of done it sooner, I wouldn't be here right now." I say as I feel tears well up in my eyes.

I keep my face down not wanting Rio to see how weak and emotional I am but i quickly look up as I feel the familiar pair of strong arms wrap around me and i breath in the scent of the man who both scared me and made me feel at peace.

"I didn't mean to upset you. You have had a rough night and I'm sorry sometimes the gang member in me just takes over. I'm not a heartless asshole like I seem. I mean I am, but I do have a heart, I just don't show it much." He says softly as he holds me in his lap.

"Don't apologize, it's me who messed up I can't seem to learn from my mistakes and keep expecting unrealistic things." I say.

"Listen mami.  I'm going to keep you safe I promised that and if that Jeff guy ever shows up when you're with me I will keep you safe then to. I'll even put a bullet in his damn head because he deserves it." he says and i nod my head.

"Now let's get some rest. You can sleep in my bed." he says but i shake my head.

"The couch is okay." I say quickly.

"I'm not going to bed just yet so how about you fall asleep in my bed and I can move you later when I'm ready to get some rest?" He suggests as he stands up with me still in his arms.

"Okay, thank you." I say as he carries me to his bedroom.