Chapter 25

I sit back on the couch and finish the bottle of wine before deciding it was time to try to get some sleep. I lay down on the couch with my head on the pillow Beth had given me and pull the soft fuzzy blanket around me. I was comfortable. I was safe. All I had do was sleep.

I tossed and turned and tried my best to keep my eyes shut, but the longer they stayed shut the faster memories of Jeff's torture would flood my thoughts. He's dead. I'm safe. He's gone. I'm okay. I tried to tell myself but I couldn't stop the panic and the pain that filled my body.

I quickly sit up and stand up as I wrap the blanket around me tightly. I go over to my purse and pull out a joint and a lighter before making my way to Beth's back door, quietly sliding it and stepping onto the deck. I shut it slowly before going and sitting on the deck stairs. I hold the blanket tightly as I light up the joint and bring it to my lips.

"You should have told me you liked to smoke dope. I could have given you some when you stayed with me." I hear the familiar voice say and I look up to see none other than Rio standing in Beth's backyard.

"What are you doing here?" I question.

"Just checking, making sure you don't try to run off to the cops and break down about what happened. Some people get so consumed by guilt. They crack under the pressure of it." he tells me.

"We both know, I'm not that type of person." I say and he shrugs.

"Hard to say with you, Beth told me you were basically brainwashed by that man so who's to say you're not still now?" he questions.

"I would have never made it out that door if I was still under his spell." I whisper as a chilling shiver travels through my spine.

"So, what exactly made you snap this time? Last time it took something huge, you weren't there very long and we didn't have to take you to a hospital, so what made you snap this time?" he questions as he walks towards me so that he is now standing right in front of me.

"Somethings are better left unsaid." I say not wanting to talk about it.

I take a large inhale of the joint, trying to will away the negative emotions that were trying to consume me.

"Sometimes the things we think are better left unsaid, are the things that tear us apart inside out." he says sitting down beside me.

"I just want to forget." I whisper as tears well up in my eyes.

I finish the last of the joint before throwing the paper away and tucking my lighter in my pocket.

"Some things can't be forgotten." he says.

"I don't think you're one to talk to about this." I say.

"Why not? I already know everything else up until this point." he says and I sigh.

He did have a point.

"About a few days after you shot Dean, Annie was over and visiting. She didn't lock the door when she left because well, she couldn't, it's a deadlock and I was asleep so she didn't bother waking me up. I woke up to Jeff kidnapping me. I spent five straight days locked in his basement. He had my arms and legs tied down on a bed so I couldn't move. He would put headphones on me all night long telling me what to do and what not to do, and what would happen if I didn't do what he said. During the day he would come in and let me out and around the house. The first three days I did my best to fight against him, to run away, to call 911, something, but every time he got to me first and he would punish me brutally. The more I would put up a fight, the worse it got. He would physically, mentally and sexually assault me in so many painful different ways, I can't even speak of it. Like at all. If I try, I choke up, the words they get stuck they won't come out. It got to a point that by the end of the third day, I had given up. By day 4 I couldn't move even if I wanted to and by day 5, I was no longer myself. I was his puppet until the day you found me." I say quickly, but not too quick so that he could still understand.

I take a deep breath before continuing.

"That day, was going the same as usual. Me on my best behavior, doing everything as perfect as possible. I had done everything I usually did in the afternoon and things were going okay, until Jeff wanted to have sex. I begged him to wait awhile as I was so sore and needed some time but he didn't listen. I told him I didn't want to have sex, I said no and he still decided to force himself on me. That was when I snapped. I went from obedient to going against him. I refused to have sex and I would fight against him until I couldn't. Thankfully I got out the door and you saw me before he pulled me back in." I say tears welled up in my eyes and my chest tightening at the memory.

"Come here, mami. " he tells me softly as he opens his arms up and I quickly go and wrap myself in them.