zach herron • best friend

for katherinetria28

"please don't tell zach y/n!" your best friend begged. you were at a party and had just caught her making out with someone who wasn't her boyfriend, zach.

this wouldn't have necessarily bothered you, but zach was your best friend and you also might've had a crush on him. you were happy for them, despite your feelings, because they were both happy. but now you know that y/f/n wasn't happy.

"i can't just not tell him, he deserves to know something like this," you told her.

"you're my best friend, you can't tell him."

"i love you, but zach was my friend first and i don't wanna see him get hurt. if zach was cheating, i'd tell you too."

"you're such a bitch! i can't believe you're gonna ruin my relationship, all because you have a crush on zach!"

"are you kidding me? you just cheated on him. you ruined the relationship."

"if you tell zach, we're done."

"then i guess we're done." y/f/n looked shocked, but you weren't gonna keep something like that from zach.

you ran from the room and began searching for zach downstairs. finally you found him sitting alone outside.

"zach! there you are, i've been looking all over for you," you said. you sat down next to him and noticed that he was crying. "what's wrong?"

"i heard you and y/f/n," he whispered. his voice was shaky from still crying.

"oh zach, i-i'm sorry...um what all did you hear?"

"just that she cheated on me. i ran out here after i heard that."

"i'm so sorry zach." you were relieved he hadn't heard y/f/n say you had a crush on him.

"it's not your fault, it's mine. it's because i didn't wanna have sex yet."

"y'all had only been dating for two months."

"i know." his shoulders shook and he let out another sob.

"zach, come here." he turned to you and put his head on your shoulder, wrapping his arms around you.

"thank you for standing up for me," he whispered.

"always zach."

a couple weeks after the party, zach started feeling better about the whole situation. it was hard seeing y/f/n and her new boyfriend at school everyday, but he could always count on you to make him feel better.

one afternoon he had invited you to his house to study for a test you had. he drove you to his house and you were jamming out to songs on the radio together. you had posted a couple videos on snapchat, like you usually did when you and zach hung out.

once you got to zach's house you went up to his room. you were both sitting on his bed with your books wide open. it was silent, but you guys were comfortable together so it didn't matter.

your phone buzzed and you picked it up. y/f/n had slid up on your snapchat story. "having fun with my sloppy seconds?" her message read. you scoffed and turned your phone off.

"what's wrong?" zach asked.

"nothing." you shook your head.

"come on, tell me what's bothering you." he playfully hit my knee.

"it's y/f/n." you shrugged. "nothing important."

"what'd she say?" he asked.

"it doesn't matter zach." you buckled and turned back to your homework. you forgot a page of notes in your backpack so you got up off of zach's bed and went to your backpack at his desk.

"sloppy seconds? what?" you turned around and saw zach holding your phone.

"zach!" you exclaimed.

"can i tell you something y/n?" he asked more seriously.

"yeah, sure." you hopped back into his bed.

"remember the night of the party, when i told you i had heard about y/f/n?"

"um, yeah," you told him. "why?"

"i heard what she said...about you having a crush on me."

"oh um." you chuckled. "i don't know where she got that from i think she was just mad at me you know? i don't know i mean we're just friends and i-"

"y/n," he interrupted.

"hm?" you were too embarrassed to look into his eyes. you felt his hand underneath your chin and lift your face up. you looked up and locked your eyes on his.

"i've been thinking about it, and i like you too y/n. you're beautiful and you're always there for me and-"

"zach." you sighed. "i think you're confusing your feelings. you've been heartbroken and i've been here to help, so t makes sense if you think you like me but i'm sure that's not it. and it's fine."

"no, y/n, i promise i really do like you. you're so smart, and you're sweet, and you're loyal. yeah, you were there for me when y/f/n cheated on me, but you were there for me before that too. you've been by my side for years and i think i've liked you this whole time it's just taken a while to realize it."

"are you sure? because i don't want you changing your mind and hurting me."

"y/n, i promise i'll never hurt you. ever." he leaned in and soon you felt his soft lips on yours.

you kissed him back with so much passion. you've wanted this for years, and finally he realized that he wanted you too.

zach reached for your waist and pushed you back into the bed. he hovered over you and slowly kissed you, sliding his tongue around yours.

you moved your hand to the back of his neck, pulling his hair. he moaned and kissed you harder, running his hand down your side.

he pulled away and you both were breathing heavily. you ran your hands through his hair and smiled up at him.

"i don't know why i wasted my time with y/f/n, it's always been you y/n," he whispered. you smiled.

"let's just forget about y/f/n, okay?

"i am perfectly okay with that." he smiled and leaned down to kiss your lips again.

*****
a/n
writing about zach makes me miss him so much more than i already do ugh