zach herron • birthday (2)

for WhyDontWeVocals

"okay listen, i have a plan but it's only gonna work if we're all on the same page, okay?" you said into the phone.

"okay," jonah said.

"so make sure that the guys know the plan. except for zach, obviously."

"obviously, y/n."

"okay shut up." you began to explain your plan for zach's birthday to jonah. zach was your boyfriend and he was in japan on tour, but he was flying back to california the day of his birthday.

you knew he'd be exhausted so you didn't plan a huge surprise party like jack had first suggested. instead, you planned a cute date for just the two of you so it wouldn't overwhelm him.

it was still a surprise, though, and that's why jonah and the guys needed to know. you were supposed to pick the guys up from the airport, but you're going to have an "emergency" so you would have more time to set up your birthday date.

the guys were landing at about six, so you started setting everything up a little after four.

you went up to the roof of their apartment building and started hanging up christmas lights. gabbie, anna, rachie, and your younger sister were all helping you.

you hung up the lights then set up the small screen and projector, then blew up the blow up mattress and put a bunch of pillows and blankets on it.

then you headed back downstairs and went to zach's family's apartment. you visited with myta for a short time. you had run the idea past her before you even told jonah because you didn't want to take zach away from his family on his birthday, but they didn't mind. you went to his bedroom and left a note on his pillow.

it was shortly past six when myta pulled out the cupcakes she had made. she put two of them on a plate and covered it before giving them to you. you already had a bunch of snacks and drinks on the roof, so you took the cupcakes and hurried to the roof.

you double checked everything and lit a few candles while you waited for zach. you got a text from myta saying he just left his room to go to the roof. you started feeling butterflies in your stomach as you waited for him to get to the top.

you heard the door open and soon you saw zach. he was wearing sweats like usual and his hair was messy with no product in it. his eyes looked tired, but he had a huge smile on his face when he saw the decorations and when his eyes caught yours.

"happy birthday." you smiled as he started walking towards you. you wrapped your arms around his neck and he wrapped his arms tightly around your waist, holding you tight.

"i love you so much, i don't believe this," he said softly. you could tell he was exhausted.

"i didn't want to have a big party because i knew you'd be tired, but i didn't want to do nothing. so i hope you like it."

"no, i love it." he smiled and kissed your lips

"here, come sit down." you took his hand and led him to the blow up mattress and sat down.

you grabbed the cupcakes and the lighter and lit the candle on one of them.

"we both know i can't sing, so i'll spare you from that." we laughed. "but you can still make a wish and blow it out."

he smiled and closed his eyes, then blew out the candle.

"my wish already came true because i'm here with you." he smiled.

"i'm the one that's supposed to be cute and cheesy right now." you chuckled, pecking his lips. he smiled as he took the cupcake from you and ate it. you grabbed the other one and ate it, too.

"what's the screen for?" zach asked.

"oh, this is my favorite part." you smiled. he leaned back against the pillows and put his arm behind your back.

you grabbed your phone and went to your camera roll. you clicked on a video and it projected onto the screen.

"before i start it, i just wanna say that it's not gonna be amazing but i hope that you still like it."

you pressed play and the song that you and zach considered to be "your song" started playing. pictures popped up and videos played, all memories of your relationship.

zach pulled you close to him and put his head on your shoulder, watching the edit you had made. it was nothing compared to the edits his fans made, but you hoped he'd appreciate the effort.

it was about two minutes long, and when it ended zach was silent.

"was it that bad?" you asked, looking at him. to your surprise, he was silent because he was crying. he wiped the tears from his eyes and looked at you.

"baby i love you so much," he whispered.

"aw zach i love you too." you rolled over and hugged him, laying half on top of him. he held you close and rubbed your back.

"you're the best thing that's ever happened to me," he said softly.

"you make me so happy everyday, i just wanted to do something special on your birthday to show you how much you mean to me," you told him.

"i know, i love it baby. this was amazing."

you both just lay there in each other's arms. you didn't want to let go partly because you missed him while he was in japan, but also because of how emotional you both had gotten from the video.

you sat up and looked at zach, smiling as you wiped the tears from his cheeks.

"i brought snacks up here and i figured we could hang out up here for a while, but you look exhausted and now that you're here all i wanna do is cuddle in bed." you chuckled softly.

"do you want me to help clean up first?" he asked.

"no, anna and my sister said they'd clean up for us."

"oh okay. then let's go because i wanna cuddle too."

you smiled and grabbed your phone, standing up with zach. you went downstairs to zach's apartment and went to his room.

you texted anna letting her know that you had gone back inside.

zach moved his bags and stuff onto the floor before pulling the comforter back. you took off your shoes and got into bed with zach, thankful that you had worn comfortable clothes.

zach wrapped his arms around you and tangled his legs with yours. your faces were so close that your noses were touching. you rubbed your nose against his, then leaned in and kissed his lips.

"i love you so much zach," you told him, running your hand though his hair.

"i love you too y/n." he kissed you again before he put his head in the crook of your neck and fell asleep to you playing with his hair.

*****