jack avery • surgery

for tacklingavery

"jack, i'm scared," you said. you were waiting in the lobby of the hospital your boyfriend, jack.

"it's gonna be okay baby, they know what they're doing."

"i know, but after this i for sure won't be able to play ever again," you said.

"i know. but being able to walk is more important," he told you.

"i know." you lay your head on his shoulder, yawning.

it was five in the morning and you and jack were waiting at a hospital for you. you've played volleyball your whole life, but the first game of your senior year you fell and completely tore your meniscus.

you had to get surgery to repair it, and you wouldn't be able to play again. you were devastated, volleyball was your whole life, and it was gone in a second.

jack kissed your head and held your hand.

"y/n?" you sat up and saw a nurse standing in a doorway. jack helped you stand up and handed you your crutches. you then followed the nurse.

she took you to a small room with a hospital room. jack sat in a chair while the nurse handed you a bag.

"go ahead and change into the hospital gown. you can put your stuff in this bag and i'll be back in a few minutes to get you ready. the bathroom's through that door."

"okay, thank you." you took the bag and the gown. the nurse then left the room and closed the door.

"do you need any help?" jack asked.

"um, yeah probably," you said. you winced as you sat on the hospital bed. every move hurt your knee.

jack took your shoes and socks off as you took your shirt and bra off, putting the gown on. jack helped pull your sweats and underwear off so you wouldn't have to bend your knee.

"thank you," you said quietly. jack smiled and leaned forward, pecking your lips. you carefully brought your legs up onto the bed and got situated.

the nurse soon came back in.

"we're still waiting on the last surgery to finish, so it'll be about half an hour. for now i'm gonna go ahead and get your blood pressure and blood work and all of that prep stuff," she said.

"okay." you nodded.

jack came and stood by your side, holding your hand. he knew how nervous you got around needles and was always there to keep you calm. you gave him a smile then looked back at the nurse.

she did all of her tests then hooked me up to an i.v. machine.

"they'll come in soon to talk to you and then give you your anesthesia and you'll be back before you know it," the nurse said with a smile.

"okay thank you." she then left the room. you scooted over and jack climbed into the bed next to you.

you lay your head on his chest and he rubbed your back.

"i'll be right here until they take you away, and i'll be right there when you wake up, okay? they're gonna take care of you and you're not gonna be in pain anymore." he kissed your head. you took a deep breathe and suddenly felt shaky.

"thank you for being here." your parents were both out of town on business.

"are you kidding? there's no way i'd let you do this without me," he said. you smiled and hugged him.