in the woods- steve rogers (part 2)

(and also there are gonna be no bears because uh...they are scary furries. yeah...no explanation needed)

"Avengers, we are here," T'Challa pointed out as you made your way to the top.

You looked over the edge of the clip and nearly gasped at the stunning view. Lush, green fields of trees stretched out endlessly below, and you could hear the slight rushing of a small waterfall, birds chirping above you as you looked up to see a cloudless sky. "Woah..." Bucky breathed out. "That was so worth it."

The timing was perfect, too. Silence began to fill the air, as the sun was just beginning to set, sending streaks of red, orange, and pink across the sky like oil pastels smudged together. You took out your camera and captured a few snapshots, admiring the view as you did so. It was quite a sight: you'd never seen anything like this back in New York, even upstate, it was nothing like this.

Sitting down on a rock, you leaned into Steve, your gaze never leaving the sky. For a split second, you found yourself wishing you could stay in this moment forever, listening to the soft summer breeze, the fluttering of birds' wings, the woodsy, pine smell, being surrounded by the people you loved without a care in the world.

Your heart jumped a bit when you felt his hand brush over your forehead as he too, admired the view. It seemed like something from a movie, if you were walking by yourself right now you would have trouble figuring out what you were seeing was real. There was nothing you wouldn't give to spend more time with him.

Okay, maybe that was a bit too cliché.

That little moment was interrupted when you heard something from behind you. You whipped your head around to see Bruce and Phil, giggling like little girls. "What?" you hissed.

"Bruce here told me that you like the Captain," the agent explained, his eyes lighting up. (YES QUEEN)

You shook your head wildly, widening your eyes and motioning for him to shut up before Steve overhears.

Before you knew it, it was time to head back. The trip back to the campgrounds wasn't so bad, now that everyone was in a cheerful mood because of what they'd seen earlier. Bucky wouldn't stop talking about how cool the sky looked and how it was worth the two hours of pain.

Unfortunately you didn't look where you were going, and went slipping backwards from a small rock in the trail. You were about to put your hands out to steady yourself when you felt someone catch you and help you back up.

"Thanks," you laughed as you saw Steve's rather amused expression.

Luckily it was getting dark, so he was unable to see how red your face was.

You all headed to the empty outdoor amphitheater with your blankets and foldup chairs to stargaze when you got back, bringing lanterns and various snacks. Stretching out your arms, you laid back on your blanket, focusing your gaze up above once again.

Now, you could clearly see the stars scattered across the pitch-black sky, like salt on a shiny, black table. They glittered like diamonds, seeming so much closer than millions of light-years away.

"Beautiful, isn't it," Steve looked over at you and smiled.

"Yeah, it is," you sighed dreamily, listing constellations in your head. "When Tony and I were little, our parents would take us out camping. Sometimes, they wouldn't tell us ahead of time and just spring it up on us. We'd hit the road and go to the nearest campsite for the weekend. And then since fireworks were illegal, Dad would make some sparks by sending blasts out of his hands with his newly-made repulsors into the sky."

When Steve saw just how happy you were, his grin widened, making him feel all warm inside to see you so happy, because back at the HQs, back home, you didn't smile this much. You were more of a serious, let's-get-down-to-business kind of woman. He was lucky that he had you.