the best fake boyfriend- steve rogers (part 2)

THIS EDIT IS SUPER LATE BUT LOL I PUT TONY AS THE READER'S DAD EVEN THO SHE ALREADY HAS ONE SORRY AHAHA

"That was fun," Steve breathed out as he put on his seatbelt once you were back in the car, the kids waving wildly as you left.

"You're so good with kids," you playfully nudged his shoulder. "I can't believe you withstood Laila's embarrassing questions."

"I've withstood Tony's embarrassing comments, so it honestly wasn't that bad for me being asked things by her."

"Touché."

While you drove back to the HQs, you looked over at Steve, who was still smiling about earlier. He noticed you staring and smiled, making your heart flutter once again.

Again?

Crap.

It was only a fake date. It was a fake relationship...

And now you were developing feelings. Real feelings.

"GUYS WE HAVE A PROBLEM ON OUR HANDS!" you yelled as you burst into the game room where Clint, Wanda, Bucky, Sam, and Natasha were playing pool. They immediately dropped their poolsticks and came over to you, looking concerned.

"What happened? Y/N, calm down for me," Clint placed both his hands on your shoulders.

"Girl, you look like you're gonna die," Wanda commented. "You alright?"

"So...Asyouknowitooksteveasmyfakeboyfriendtomyfamilyreunionandnowmyentirefamilyabsolutelyadoreshimandduringtheprocessiaccidentallyfellforhimandidontknowwhattodonowhelpplease," You gasped once you were finished speaking, desperate for some oxygen.

"Oh no..." Clint looked down, shaking his head and then looking at Natasha. "This sounds just like something from a movie..."

"To All The Boys I've Loved Before," she sighed.

"Nat, how does that movie go again? I got the love letter part, but..."

"Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky agree to fake-date for publicity and she develops feelings for him along the way."

"And the ending?" Sam prodded.

"They both end up admitting that they fell in love with each other and then boom. A kiss and happy ending."

"Awwwwww," Bucky cooed.

"I'm so doomed," you cried, sliding your hands down your face. "I am spiraling down into an ever-so darkening pit of guaranteed heartbreak."

Your heart physically seemed as if it was tearing itself apart and you hated that you'd allowed yourself to fall for your best friend on a fake date. How much more cliché could things get?

...

{TWO MONTHS LATER}

"So, I think that my family's pretty convinced that we're together now," you said to Steve as you just finished watching The Bachelorette together on TV, a fair distance away from each other on the couch.

"We did some pretty good acting, I must say," he admitted. "Do you think it's safe for us to call it off now? We could tell them that we just wanted to be more friends because our lives were really busy due to superhero work..."

"Yeah," you agreed, swallowing the lump that had grown in your throat. "That would be fine."

"Well," he held his hand out for you to shake, "It was nice fake-dating you, Y/N."

"I agree, Steve Rogers."

He got up after that and left, leaving you to mope by yourself.

This love was one-sided, and it would end in tragedy. It would be your downfall, it would be the death of you, and the constant reminder of all the kisses, all the cuddling, all the hand-holding that most likely meant nothing to him wouldn't leave your mind.