battle scars- steve rogers

"Mr. Stark is calling for an emergency mission. He said that you guys need to suit up and meet at the Quinjet now," Peter panted, bursting into the living room in his Spider-Man suit, where all the Avengers were gathered. "We need to hurry. The Chitauri launched another attack in Chicago and Loki's got the scepter again."

"Dammit," Clint looked up from cleaning his arrows. "Another attack?"

"Chicago?" you shouted at the same time.

"Yeah, Chicago," he nodded. "I don't know what's wrong with these dudes, but they seem like jerks. Anyways, we need to hurry up, and get there as soon as we can."

"My parents..." you muttered, abruptly standing up to go suit up and load up all your weapons.

Steve looked back at you, worried, before going to suit up as well.

...

Your fists clenched and unclenched in your lap, your heart beating at a thousand miles a minute as you watched the screen that was tracking the Quinjet's route. Time was passing by much more slowly than you desired for it to and you were just wishing that you could arrive in time.

"Hey," Steve said softly, placing a hand on your shoulder. "We can save them. It'll be alright."

You nodded stiffly, turning your head to briefly meet his gaze before looking back at the screen.

Soon enough, the Quinjet had touched down, which was a cue for everyone to stand up and load up their weapons.

Taking in a shaky breath, you readjusted your guns on your holster, securing them tightly before tying your hair back and walking forward to the hatch that was beginning to open.

"We're going to find the Chitauri, drive them out, and evacuate the citizens," Tony's voice spoke into all the comms. "Wanda, Pietro, Romanoff, Parker, you're on evacuation duty. The rest of you, split up and try to find where they, and the scepter, are. Did I make this clear?"

"Yes, Tony," everyone said in unison.

"Well then, let's get going," and with that, you all deboarded the jet.

...

You frantically looked around for where the center of attack was, keeping your eyes and ears wide open for any possible signs that could lead you to the location, with Sam, Steve, and Bucky trailing close behind you.

Then came the explosions and gunshot, and the screams.

Upon hearing those sounds, you rushed to the park and looked around, silently hoping and praying that your parents were okay, that they weren't two of the many victims of the attack.

But then, you saw all the dead bodies spread out across the field, a tightness clamping across your chest and throat when you found that your parents were among those lifeless corpses.

"No, no no no no no no no," you swore under your breath. "Guys, spread out and find the scepter. Once you find it, go straight back to the Quinjet and let me know, so I can notify Tony."

"Yes, ma'am," Sam saluted you, and took off into the air.

Then you snapped your fingers, causing balls of flame to swirl in the palm of your left hand, glowing a bright orange and gold that only grew brighter as the raging storm on your insides swirled around faster at the sight. Your other hand pulled out your gun, your finger lingering on the trigger so it could shoot when ready.

You set down your gun and stepped forward to your mother's and father's bodies, gently brushing hairs back from their faces and saying a final goodbye before reluctantly stepping back.