coming back- steve rogers

╒══════════════════╕

in which he realizes who

he's really meant to be

with in the end

╘══════════════════╛

steve goes back in time to see peggy but the more time he spends w/her he realizes she's not the one and regrets leaving you behind, so he comes back much to your surprise

i counted it up and realized theres like 10 more steve oneshots than peter IM SO SORRY but i PROMISE i have a peter oneshot after this

super dialogue heavy but i like angst haha.

when i first started off this book i was suuuper steve biased im sorryyyyyyyyyyyyy

this idea has been stuck in my head FOREVER and i just had to get it down

★━━━━━━✩━━━━━━★

"Peggy?"

"Steve? Is that really you?" Her jaw almost dropped to the ground in shock as she blinked several times, unable to believe what she was seeing.

"Yeah," the super soldier chuckles, quickly embracing her and pressing a chaste kiss to her forehead, "It's me."

"But how is it possible? I thought you were dead...that you wouldn't be able to come back..."

"We did it. We took down Thanos and his army, and the stones granted me the ability to time travel," he explained, "I knew I had to check on you to see if you were okay."

"I'm just glad you're back," Peggy mumbled into his chest as his arms wrapped around her tightly. "I'm so glad you're back."

But as time passed, an uneasy feeling settled in the pit of his stomach. He should be happy that he was finally with with the one woman who he thought he'd never see again, but something felt off. Why didn't it feel right?

If anything, he should've been as overwhelmed with joy as he was in the beginning compared to now, but he didn't.

He tried his hardest to ignore the one answer stuck in the back of his head and attempts to instead, focus on Peggy who's catching him up on what happened while he was gone over dinner.

"Steve? Are you alright?" she waved a hand in front of his face. "Is something wrong?"

"What? No, I'm okay," he shook his head, "don't worry."

"Something's bothering you..." she pointed out, her head tilting slightly to the side as she took a sip of her coffee, "what is it? You know you can tell me anything."

"I can't," Steve exhaled, "it wouldn't do you any good."

"...It's about those you left behind, isn't it?" she guessed. "Your team...and Y/N, specifically..."

His silence was all Peggy needed to confirm the answer to her question.

"I know," she spoke softly, causing him to look up from his plate in surprise. "I've known all along."

"How did you..."

"I can tell by the look in your eyes. You still love her, and regret leaving her," she stated, "you wish to go back."