brokenhearted- peter parker (part 2)

Days passed, adoption papers were signed, and before you knew it you became Tony Stark's new adopted daughter. It was clear as day that everyone on the team was trying their hardest to make you feel better and to help you adjust, and Tony wanted nothing more than for you to feel what it was like to have a fatherly figure in your life because you never had one there to support you.

Peter couldn't do anything about it either. He had to painfully watch as you dragged through each passing day with a blank and emotionless expression on your face and it haunted him. Your eyes were always glittering and full of light, even in the most serious cases like when you went on missions but now, that look had completely disappeared.

He had to watch, helplessly, as you tried to put your broken pieces back together only to end up struggling and failing to do so. Often times he'd wake up at three in the morning, hearing your sobs echo across the walls of your room and would rush over to hold you, rocking you back and forth in his arms until you fell asleep again. He didn't care that he was losing sleep, because seeing you lose all the life and energy you had hurt him more than insomnia could.

Natasha and Bruce could clearly see how things all went downhill for not only you but for Peter. They, along with everyone else, noticed how much your mother's death was affecting him as well as he frantically rushed around, always on his feet and ready to be right by your side when needed. But not once did he complain about the exhaustion or effort that he was having to put into making you happy. He was aching to see you smile again but the ghosts of screams and muffled sobs were still etched onto your face.

Long, summer days brought along with it lots of free time and you would often find yourself in the training room, destroying punching bag after punching bag out of sheer anger and fury. It typically ended in you collapsing onto the floor with bruised and bloody knuckles until Steve, Tony, or Peter found you.

But everyone knew that time would heal all wounds.

...

It was another typical Sunday night after dinner with absolutely nothing to do in the Tower---so you ended up playing a rather brutal round of Mario Kart with Bucky and Sam while you waited for Peter, Steve, and Tony to get back from their week-long mission in New Orleans. You were all bored out of your minds, to put it simply.

Being the protective and caring doctor he was, Bruce was making sure you took your medicine and stayed warm, because he didn't want your fever to shoot past 102 like it had before. Wanda and Natasha and the others made sure to stay by your side when you were bored, simply talking to you and making sure your mind was occupied with anything other than negativity.

"Seriously, Clint," you muttered as you gripped your controller, navigating your Princess Peach through Rainbow Road. "You're not supposed to skip the item boxes!"

"Well, I'm sorry that it's been two years since I played this stupid game," he scoffed.

"Nobody skips the item boxes, birdbrain," Bucky rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Hey, Y/N. You better remember that we're allies, and I swear to God if you blue-shell me, I will not hesitate to fight you. To the death."

"Yeah yeah, whatever. I thought that Sam was our main focus here?"

"Hey!" Sam exclaimed.

"Ha ha," you stuck your tongue out at the Falcon before blowing him a kiss. "I'm so sorry in advance."

"What are you---"

"Y/N, now!" Bucky prompted, and you practically smashed the button to activate your turtle shell and hitting Sam's vehicle so hard that he went careening straight off the track and into the black, seemingly never-ending abyss below.