this isn't freedom, this is fear- steve rogers

╒══════════════════╕

in which she keeps him

steady and centered, and

he does the same

╘══════════════════╛

sadly this book is reaching its chapter limit. I may start a second oneshot book because I still have several ideas, if you'd like to see this pls lmk here, on my conversations board, or if you have a request, dm me! tyyyyy for putting up with my crappy writing for so long haha

also this oneshot sucks im sorry

★━━━━━━✩━━━━━━★

"Yeah, I know," Nick Fury seemed to sense yours and Steve's shock at the sight before you, "they're a little bit bigger than a 22."

The glass elevator steadily began making its way downwards as you stared out at the massive array of super-sized SHIELD helicarriers.

"This is Project Insight," he explained as he began showing the two of you around, "Three next generation Helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites."

"Launched from Lemurian Star," you finished.

"Once we get them in the air they never need to come down. Continuous suborbital flight courtesy of our new repulsor engines."

"Stark?" Steve questioned.

"Well, he had a few suggestions once he got an up close look at our old turbines. These new long range precision guns can eliminate a thousand hostiles a minute. The satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen."

"I thought the punishment usually came after the crime."

"We can't afford to wait that long," Fury replied.

"Who's 'we'?" your eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

"After New York, I convinced the World Security Council we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. For once we're way ahead of the curve."

"By holding a gun at everyone on Earth and calling it protection."

"You know, Y/L/N, I read those SSR files. Greatest generation? You guys did some nasty stuff."

"Yeah, we compromised," Steve let out a breath, crossing his arms. "Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so the people could be free. This isn't freedom, this is fear."

"SHIELD takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. It's getting damn near past time for you to get with that program, Cap."

"Don't hold your breath."

★━━━━━━✩━━━━━━★

"Steve?"

The super-soldier stopped and whirled around to face you, his tone coming out slightly more aggressive than intended. "What the hell do you want?"

"Hey," you whispered, stepping forward and placing a hand on his shoulder, "you wanna tell me what's wrong?"

Steve inhaled sharply and let out a long sigh. "I'm fine."