broken- steve rogers

"Director Fury orders all of you to get to the briefing room, right now," JARVIS's voice boomed through the speakers.

You quickly got up, threw on a T-shirt and jeans, tying your hair up into a messy bun as you headed out the door, not caring about how you looked. You got to the briefing room to see everyone was already there, and you slid into the spare seat in between Steve and Natasha.

Averting your gaze from the super-soldier, you focused your eyes on Nick Fury, who was pointing to the big screen that had a pinpoint on the map of Switzerland, on Bern, indicating that it was the location of a HYDRA base.

It seemed that every time you looked into those piercing blue eyes of Steve's, you got easily distracted. And you couldn't let that happen to you when you were about to go on a mission, because if you did, who knew what could go wrong.

"Alright, listen up," Nick stated, tapping the screen and swiping to the right. "This here, folks, is the base you will be breaking into. You are to get inside the control room. Once you get there, make sure to shut down HYDRA's communication systems. Y/N," he gestured towards you, "this is where you come in. As soon as the systems are shut down, you will retrieve the file from the main computer and download it to the flash drive that will be handed to you on the jet."

"Um, Mr. Fury, are we in pairs?" Peter raised his hand.

"Yes, you will all be in pairs," he acknowledged the boy. "Barton, Romanoff, you will be together, Stark and Banner, Barnes and Thor, Y/N, Rogers, and Willson will be a group of three, and Parker and Hill, you will hack into the security cameras so that you can keep tabs on everything. Do you all understand?"

You gulped, nervously twiddling your thumbs. How were you going to deal with Steve when you guys were purposely not talking to one another?

Everyone nodded in response. "Good. We leave first thing tomorrow morning. Meet at the opening gates of the jet at 8. Good luck."

With that, the Director left, leaving you guys to split up and continue doing whatever you were previously doing.

"Aye," Bucky pulled you outside as you exit the room. "I saw you staring at Cap the whole time."

"I wasn't!" you lied. "I only looked at him once!"

"Yeah, you looked at him once, for fifteen seconds," he drawled, nudging you and raising his eyebrows up and down.

"We're not even on speaking terms anymore. There's no reason for me to stare at him," you explained, recalling how for the past two weeks, you'd been ignoring each other, avoiding him as if you didn't know who he was.

"What happened? Weren't you two really close? Or something?"

"We kind of, well, we fought. Something like that. Then we fell out, hard, and I don't know if we can fix this. I can barely even remember what started it."

That was only partially true, though. In reality you'd backed away because you knew that if you got too close to him, you'd get your hopes up too high and it'd only result in you getting your heart broken.

You only knew that neither of you were in a good place at the time, and neither were you now.

Just glancing at him was enough to make your heart ache with an unbearable pain. Every time you stole a glance, briefly staring at him for only a few seconds, you would feel something tugging at your chest.

"Alrighty, then. But keep this in mind---you may regret making your decision to turn away from him. That's what's going to break you even more."

-----