rescue- steve rogers

╒══════════════════════╕

in which she tries not to let

her feelings get in the way of

more important things

╘══════════════════════╛

another little sad-turned-happy oneshot. I'm running out of good ideas here and the ideas for this one were made up as I went along, so if you can send any requests in that would be great! thank you!

basically this is a oneshot about the avengers trying to find out information on the disappearance of y/n's parents who were kidnapped during the attack of chicago (basically like the attack on new york) a year before this present-day AU timeline lol

one of the scenes in this chapter is from endgame so credits to marvel, because it is not mine! I decided to incorporate it because it fit really well with what I had planned in mind.

★━━━━━━✩━━━━━━★

Steve Rogers worriedly gazed over towards the lean figure standing out on the patio which overlooked the vast ocean that seemed to stretch out for miles, hands laying limp by her sides, blankly staring out at nothing in particular. The skies flamed with the light of the setting sun and made your face appear almost angelic, slowly sinking down towards the horizon until it completely disappeared from view and everything was covered with a blanket of darkness.

Your facial features were overcome with a hollow look that practically shattered his heart into a million pieces. The tension in your shoulders and the lost look in your eyes as you stared straight forward with a completely emotionless expression was enough to make him feel like he himself had been split into two.

The woman he loved was standing here before him more broken and vulnerable than he'd ever seen her in the past. It was the way you spoke, the way you moved, with barely any meaning or emotion. Your bright eyes were normally full of light and sometimes glittering with mischief or even demanding of authority but now, were stripped completely of any of those things.

It didn't happen very often but when it did, it broke his heart.

"I'm sorry," he murmured, placing a hand on your shoulder as he approached. He quickly pulled away after a second, though, as if his touch even in the slightest, would harm you.

It was hard for him to find the right words to say, unknowing of what he could say or do to possibly comfort you. Choosing to step around and avoid certain things was like trying to avoid a ticking time bomb; one wrong move, once the clock hit zero, and he was done for.

"Sometimes I find myself wondering if it really was all my fault," you stated roughly, clearing your throat. "If there was just one thing I could've done differently to have changed the outcomes of the situation. If I could've intervened in some way."

"It's not your fault," Steve said quietly. "It's never your fault."

"Almost a year has gone by and it still hurts," you whispered, hastily swiping your tears away with the palm of your hand and shaking your head. "I could've saved them, but I failed to make it to them in time and by the time I found out and got to the scene they were gone. Disappeared into thin air and taken into HYDRA's hands. God knows what can happen."