chapter seventeen

ALLISON SIGHED DEEPLY AS SHE HEARD BETH CRYING LOUDLY FROM ON TOP OF THE BED, INTERRUPTING THE WOMAN'S SLEEP. She got up and put on her jacket, proceeding to walk outside.

"Hey." She heard from across the cell block and she looked to her left, seeing Daryl sitting up on the perch, eating something that looked like beans in a can. "Where ya goin'?" He asked her, mouthful of food.

Allison sighed and shrugged. "Outside."

Daryl grunted slightly as he got up and he put down the can, grabbing his crossbow. "I'll go with."

Allison didn't even argue as she walked out, Daryl following behind her with his crossbow up in front of him cautiously.

She reached outside and she breathed in the fresh air, happy to get out of that cell with everyone crying and her dad dying while she couldn't do anything about it.

"Sorry." Allison spoke. "I just needed to get out of there, you know?"

Daryl nodded as the two walked beside each other, not saying anything until he spoke up. "You worried?"

Allison looked to the ground with tired eyes, shrugging slightly. "No." She tried lying, but Daryl saw right through her.

He sighed and she stopped walking, sitting on a bench. Daryl sat down next to her, clearing his throat.

"What'd you do about those prisoners?" Allison asked as she spent most of her day outside walking around and killing walkers.

"Two sleeping in block C. Rest dead." He stated simply.

Allison looked out to the sky, seeing the stars and the moon bright as it shined. She inhaled and rubbed her hands together as the night seemed to get colder. She looked to Daryl, who was looking to the sky, like she had done not too long ago.

"You're covered in blood." Daryl told her, not even being discreet about it.

Allison chuckled. "I know." She rubbed her cheeks, hoping to get the dried blood and dirt off.

He poured some of his water on a rag, handing it to her. "Here."

She rubbed it harshly, trying to get it off. As she rubbed her face, tears started to spring in her eyes as she thought about her father, and how that one day he saved her life. She gave the rag back to Daryl and sighed deeply.

"When I was 16... I tried to kill myself..." She started, hesitantly, but oddly comfortable talking to him. "My dad uh, he found me... he had told me that was the worst day of his whole life. He never wanted to see me like that again. He told me how much he loved me and how much he cared for me... even if he didn't show it. He didn't have a drink for ten years after that. Not wanting to have any negativity in the family..." She shook her head and stopped the tears from flowing as she looked down at her wrist, Daryl's eyes following as he saw the large scars on them.

"When I saw him bleeding out, I swear he was going to die. I was so scared." Allison looked to him and pushed her hair behind her ear. She got the sudden urge to grab onto him and snuggle close to him for warmth.

He hesitantly placed his hand on her knee, squeezing comfortingly. "He's gon' be fine. You're gonna be fine." Daryl whispered to her and she nodded, shivering a bit. "Let's get you back inside before you freeze."

Allison chuckled slightly and she got off the bench, following Daryl into the prison. As they walked in, Allison sighed, still hearing slight sniffles from Beth inside her cell. She took off her jacket and placed it on the stair case.

"What're ya doin'?" He asked her and she looked up.

"I'm gonna rest here." She whispered and he shook his head.

"Nah, you ain't sleeping uncomfortably. Come up here." That surprised Allison and himself once he said that.

Allison nodded slowly and whispered something to herself before walking up there with her jacket as Daryl scooted over so she could fit and she laid down, sighing deeply. "Thanks, Daryl."

He grunted and then turned to his back to her. "Get some sleep."