chapter thirty-nine.

THE NEXT COUPLE DAYS WERE CALM. No walkers, no people trying to kill them. Calm. Allison didn't like it. She wanted to feel like she was on edge because that's what an apocalypse was. It was meant to keep you on edge and keep you paranoid as you fought for your life.

Currently, Allison sat on the porch outside her house that she shared with Sophia and Daryl. Everyone had split up into different houses, wanting to have their privacy. Sophia was always with the other teenagers in the community while Daryl was always on the porch, trying to keep himself occupied.

There was some party tonight and Allison didn't know if she wanted to go, although it was a welcome party for the new members. She didn't feel comfortable around new people, not just yet.

She spotted Maggie walking up to her and she looked up, giving her a small smile. "Hey."

"Hey, where you been?" She asked her, pressing her lips together.

Allison lifted up her book, showing her sister that she's just been reading for days. Maggie just laughed lightly and glanced to Daryl, him eavesdropping on the two. "I see you've found the books, then?"

The blonde nodded, looking back to the pages. "Yep." She smiled at her, not looking up.

Maggie let out a long sigh before she took one step closer to her sister. "Beth would've liked this place." She spoke, hesitating a bit, not wanting Allison to lash out at her.

Instead, she just glanced up at her, blinking slowly. She looked back down at her book and nodded slightly, Maggie taking that as a sign she didn't want to talk.

"I'm gonna be at the party tonight, you should go." She told her sister, who just nodded her head slowly once again. Maggie sighed and walked off, shaking her head to herself.

Glenn took notice of her distressed face and furrowed his eyebrows, searching her eyes. "What happened?"

Maggie shrugged and gripped his hand, sighing deeply. "Ally."

"She's still not talking?" He asked his wife, looking back at the woman who sat on the porch.

"Hardly." She scoffed.

"Hey... she'll come around." Glenn told her, bringing her into a hug as she just sighed, silence following.

Daryl looked to the couple and then looked to Allison, who was reading her book silently, her eyes scanning over the words quickly. Once she sensed he was looking, her eyes darted up towards his and she sighed, closing her book. "What?"

"Nothin'." He grunted, looking back at his crossbow.

"It's always somethin'." She snapped, instantly regretting it.

"Jus' thought you would go to that party tonight is all." He shrugged, pursing his lips.

Allison crossed her arms, shrugging. "Maybe..." She trailed off, looking to her feet. "Why? Are you going?"

"Maybe." He copied her, smirking slightly. The woman just bit her bottom lip to stop from smiling and walked back inside, getting another book from the shelf.

-

The woman woke up slowly, the sun hitting her eyes as it set over the horizon. Allison got up from her bed and sighed deeply, walking out from her room, she bumped into Daryl or rather a half-naked Daryl.

He had a towel around his waist while his body was still wet, along with this hair that was dripping onto his broad shoulders, making Allison swallow nervously as she scanned her eyes across his torso, not even being discreet about it. Not to mention he smelled amazing too. "S-sorry." She stammered, mentally face palming herself as she moved back away from him, her face heating up in embarrassment.

Daryl awkwardly cleared his throat and walked into his room, Allison's eyes following him as she smirked slightly.

As she approached the kitchen, she saw Sophia, looking dressed up and clean, as if she was going somewhere. She sipped on her water as her leg bounced up and down and her eyes darted back and forth from the front door to her lap.

"Where you goin'?" She asked her, furrowing her eyebrows at the girl.

Sophia turned her head and smiled slightly. "Oh, I'm gonna go to the welcome party thing tonight. Carl is gonna come get me."

"Carl?" Allison asked her, raising her eyebrows. "As in a date?"

The girl gasped and covered her face as it turned completely red in embarrassment. "N-no! It's just... we're friends."

"That's not how a 'friend' would react." Allison chuckled, grabbing a cup and filling it with water, sipping it slowly.

The doorbell rang and Sophia wiped her clammy hands on her jeans, the blonde woman giving her a knowing look. She walked to the door and opened it with a smile, Allison watching the two as Carl gave her a small wave, her just smiling back in response.

"Have fun!" She called out, Sophia widening her eyes at her slightly as she walked out.

Laughing slightly, she turned around, seeing Daryl walk down the stairs with his head down. She choked on her water, it going down her shirt as she saw his appearance. To be honest, he looked rather... attractive as he wore his jacket and his vest over it with black pants and his boots. He still had small cuts on his face that were healing but Allison thought that he looked best like that, it meant that he was strong.

"You're going to the party, too?" She asked him once she composed herself.

"Yeah... thinkin' 'bout it." He told her, giving her an odd look. "You should go."

"Is that you askin'?" She smirked and he gave her a small playful glare.

"Just come." He told her and with that, he walked out the door and she sighed, biting her lip with a little unsureness.