1

New York City. The city that never sleeps. Literally now these days.
The once busy streets were now desolate and filled with new buildings, designed to go into battle configuration. The borders that separated the city and the ocean were filled with shields and four-wheeled tanks and large robots called Kuratas and Yumboros. It is now called NYC 2.0 because the whole world has gone into war.

Not against terrorists, aliens or any other threat.

No.

It was against dragons.

People believed that dragons were myths or folktales that people from long ago made up, because there has been no solid proof of it. That was until the attacks of 2013 revealed otherwise and a surviving viking copy of a book containing partial records of dragon species was discovered.
Even with the most advanced technology, dragons seemed to be more powerful and ready. Especially with the so-called "night/light fury" species, which were unrivaled in air and ground superiority each time a new fighter jet or machine went to fight them. Furthermore their nest was located in a delicate spot along many tectonic fault lines, with the risk of triggering a disaster unlike any other predicted if nuclear bombs were to be used. It seemed like this war was going to drag on for an eternity after the seven years of constant struggle.

Until one day things started to change.

This is the story of an average teenager who showed the true nature of dragons. One that was forgotten a long time ago.
_______________________________________

August 15, 2020. NYC 2.0. 12:10 am

Alarms started to blare all over the city, indicating a dragon attack was imminent due to it being spotted on radar.
Larger buildings started to sink towards the ground, while tanks and mechs started to swarm the streets and then station themselves at the city's edge.
In the garage of a building, a teenager by the name of Hendy Haddock woke up and got out of bed to quickly suit up.
This was the perfect moment for Henry to sneak out with his homemade mecha named Stingray and test out his new weapon.

He snuck out because he knew his father, Lt. Simon, would not let him out during a dragon raid. His father thought it was too risky for Henry to go out when there was a high risk of death. However, Henry still couldn't understand why; he has survived all raids without getting blown up. Plus, the higher ups didn't notice how hard he has worked on his mecha when Simon was the one who authorized and let him take whatever the military junkyard offered(with no questions asked).
Well, no matter what, Henry was persistent to keep trying to prove himself even if it got him into trouble that was considered insubordination.

He drove his bike mecha down from the garage via a ramp and into the water drain tunnel that connected with his garage, keeping a low profile as he got through security cameras and other military mechas that we're driving into attack and defensive positions.
Once he got in position, he switched his bike to mecha mode and climbed up a small apartment building as he got ready for the attack.
["Here they come. Hot and bright as firecrackers."] Henry heard one kurata pilot in front of him say as he loaded ammo on the wheel vulcan caliber. Sure enough, the dragons have already arrived and begun their attack on the city.
The launching of SAM missiles from trucks and mechas and the firing of artillery shells marked the start of the battle.

'Alright. Let's begin'

With the sound of electric wheel motors reeving up and tires screeching, Henry jumped from building to building as he shot bullets to targeted dragons. The other pilots took little importance of his presence as they were concentrating on their targets and started doing the same. The dragons, in response, shot streams of fire or fireballs down at the mechas that tried to dodge their attacks.

["Command center, what do we have today?"] a pilot asked on the radio.
["Gronkles, Nadders, Zipplebacks, and tons of Monstrous Nightmares."] the commander responded.
["Any Night Furies or Skrills in the vicinity?"] Simon's voice, the voice of his father, asked on the radio.
["None so far"] another pilot said.
["Good"] they said.

A few dragons that reached the ground started to use their fire or claws and teeth to combat the armored-type yumboros. Henry and the rest of pilots continued to deliver their ordinance and counterattack the dragons that have landed woth melee weapons until shrieks started to pierce through the skies. Everyone knew those blitzkrieg-type sounds, and it was bad news.

It was the sound of the unrivaled dragons.

["Furies incoming!!!"] a pilot shouted.
["Evade!! Evade!!! Take cover!!!"] another yelled.
'Oh crap!!' Henry thought.

Henry and some others turned away and ducked for cover behind buildings and border shields just in time to see some unlucky mechas get destroyed by plasma blast bombardments. The black and white dragons turned away quickly with astonishing speed and agility as they selected new targets to blow up. Before Henry knew it, the roar of jet engines signaled new fighter jets have taken to the skies in response to the threat. But Henry an a few others knew that the outcome would be just the same.

Defeat.

Night and Light Furies were built for natural speed and agility, while fighter jets and their pilots weren't. To add up to the advantage these dragons had, they had either camouflage and lightning manipulation. The g-forces exerted to the pilots was too much for them to take. And if one did acquire a lock on them, the dragons would simply evade them by turning invisible. The pilot's jet would be simply blasted, which just happened in an interval of 3 to 5 minutes.
Henry, on the other hand, was preparing to launch his newly-developed weapon: the net missile.
The plan was to pick a solitary Fury, try NOT to get killed in the process of aiming, and fire the missile with the perfect timing. Right now, he had to get cleared of the battlefield.

So, with a screech of wheeled legs, Henry sped through the buildings and headed straight to the tall border buildings.