14

Henry kicked the garage door open, finding Amari cornering a man with a white lab coat. Amari had her teeth bared and fur fluffed up.

"AMARI! NO! STOP!!" Henry shouted strongly, both verbally and through the mindlink. Immediately the furred fury's head shot up and faced Henry, now with an innocent face and letting out an apologetic croon before stepping back from the man. Henry let out a relieved sigh and said "Thanks, girl." as he turned to face the awe-struck man who was still sitting on the ground.
"Who are you? And how the hell did you get into my house?" Henry asked the man who was still scared. The man dropped a device on the ground and held his hands up, and Henry knew what it was when he said "Of course someone would figure out how to disarm it". Amari growled at the man when he moved, but Henry held a and out in between the two to assure her that the man wasn't a threat.

At least, until he figured out if he truly was or wasn't.

"Listen, forget about what I said. Just go out and don't tell anyone about this. Or else I'll hunt you down myself." Henry said to the man in the lab coat, stopping when he realized that he may have been too harsh with his words.
But the man said "It's alright. You don't have to worry about anything. You can trust me on keeping this a secret. By the way, my name is Dr. Elias. Elias Argus.". "What makes you think I can trust you?" Henry asked the man whose name was Elias. "Because you have befriended a......well...I really don't know what kind of fury it is. But now that there is one of the rarest dragons right here, in the flesh and not hostile, I'm here to study it. Not cause any harm. I've always wanted to study one up close, but my superiors denied me any type of study that involved close encounters. Tell you what: is it alright if I move my analysis equipment here? I could help you make passive accessories to your mecha if we both find peaceful ways to..." the man explained as he slowly got up, then seemed to notice Amari's wing wrap and leg brace.

"What happened to her wing and leg?" Elias asked Henry as he got closer to the furred fury. Amari growled and bared her teeth at him, but then noticed that Elias wasn't really a threat as he examined the injuries from an approved distance. "I....I'm the one who shot her down and accidentally injured her with my net missile. You may have heard rumors of me doing that, and that most don't believe it. But it's alright; once the wing and leg heal, she can move and fly freely." Henry explained as Elias examined every feature the furred dragon had like the wings, face, tail, body, and talons.
"Wait. How do you know that this dragon is female? Did you check?" Dr. Elias asked.

. . .

"Actually, she told me.....Now I know it sounds ridiculous, but she actually told me. And I'm gonna explain to you what happened" Henry said.

* * *

"...so when I woke up, I started hearing her voice inside my head. At first I though I was going insane, but when I checked my wound and bite mark she gave me, which healed incredibly fast, I had to conclude that what she injected me —venom or part of her blood or saliva— actually made me develop this sort of telepathic communication with her. Without getting sick or nauseous again." Henry finished explaining to Dr. Elias.
"This is.......interesting and amazing! Think of how this would apply to the field of medicine!" Elias exclaimed, excitement coursing through his body. Now there was a chance for him to actually do what he longed for.
"What about military? Isn't it your job to do that?" Henry asked.
"...........No. And I don't think it would be beneficial to both sides. I only want to study dragons, not find their weaknesses to kill them. Both of us want to find why they attack us besides the fact of scavenging for food. I mean...I don't think it's right to take a life and take the better advantage by learning with killing. Have you ever thought of that?" Elias said, some memories of the days that he worked in the facility creeping up behind him. Yet he shook those thoughts away. When he looked up at Henry, he noticed a thoughtful face similar to his own that definitely showed resemblance to what he was pointing out about.
"I have thought of that as well." Henry said, Elias looking at the expression of the teenager's face and nodding

Perhaps he found the right person to work with.

________________________________________________

The lab man was right, Henry felt. And he had to agree that it was the same thing he felt when he found Amari; injured and afraid.
"Yeah. You're right...I felt that when I found her injured." Henry agreed when he looked at Amari, who was sitting next to him and examining Dr. Elias.
Then, Elias got a little more closer to Amari and stretched his hand to touch her. Henry felt her get tense and said "Its alright, he's a friend now. He won't harm you", sending reassuring waves through the mindlink with a smile. Elias took note at the way Henry looked at the furred fury, then got surprised when the dragon came close. A small moment passed, and Amari nuzzled Dr. Elias's cheek while purring.
"Did you tell her something else?" Elias asked Henry as he began to gently stroke Amari's fluffy ears, to which he replied "No, not really. I just assured her a little more with an emotion. And she understood."
"...That means they are intelligent! Do you know what this means? This means that there is more than scientists have previously discovered! Oh, I have to take note of this..." Dr. Elias went on and on as he took notes on his writing pad. Henry chuckled as he felt Amari'd confusion rise up a bit from the excitement pouring from the scientist. 'Maybe I could trust this guy.' Henry thought.
Then an idea came up to him. It felt as if it came from another part, but Henry knew it may sound exiting.
What if, when the wing was healed, and asked Dr. Elias for engineering ideas, he could.........

Fly with Amari.