26

Henry was tired.

A few modifications later and he was already done with the final project. Now all he needed to do was to wait until the model was turned in.
At this time he was asleep at his desk, over-exhausted. A hand was placed on his shoulder, waking him up. Henry thought it was Elias at first, but when he opened his eyes he saw his father Simon.
"Dad! You're back! Uh, Gideon and Elias aren't here." Henry said in a hurry as he tried to hide his design blueprints and other paperwork. It wasn't about the dragons or anything else, but he felt that by doing so he would fake that he was hiding something confidential.
"I know. I came looking for you" his father said.
"Really? You did?" Henry asked.
"I can tell you've been keeping secrets." Simon said as he motioned to the closed folders.
"I have?...Oh, no. Nonono this is confidential info about my mecha, nothing else." Henry said.
"Just how long do you think you could hide it from me?" Simon asked.
"I...don't know what you're talking about exactly."
"Nothing happens in this city without anyone hearing about it."
'What exactly is he talking about?' Henry thought with dread creeping up him.
"So. Let's talk about those dragons." Simon said.
'Oh no. Did they discover Amari and Akio? Did they get it out from Elias? I'm in SO much trouble.' Henry thought with sweat coming down his face. Henry decided to explain with the most sincerity by saying "Oh God. Dad, I'm sorry. I was going to tell you. I just didn't know how to explain—" when his father suddenly burst into laughter. Wait a minute; why was his father laughing?
"Hold on. You're...you're not upset?" Henry said.
"What!? I was hoping for this!" his father said.
"You...were?"
"And believe me, it gets even better! Just wait 'till you spill a Nightmare's guts! And behead your first Nadder head! *punches Henry's shoulder playfully* You really had me tight, son! All those years of the worthless wannabe the city of New York has ever seen! Colonel, it was rough, I almost gave up on you and all the while you were holding out on me! OH, GOD ALMIGHTY! With you doing so well in the battle dome, we have something to talk about finally." his father said as he sat down in a chair.
At first Henry was relieved. But when his father got to the part that he was actually proud of him, he felt bitter instead of happy. Proud of him? After all those years of restraining and telling him that he was too young to be a soldier? He wanted to shout a million words of hate and disbelief at his father, but all he managed to do was avoid his father's eager gaze.

All that ever happened during that moment was awkward silence.

When his father noticed his son wasn't going to speak, he changed the subject. "Oh. I uh...brought you something. Think of it as a good luck charm to keep you safe in the battle dome and in the real world" his father said as he pulled out a necklace from his jacket pocket and handed it to Henry.
"Wow. Thanks." Henry said as he accepted the necklace gratefully.
"It was a gift from your mother to me, but I thought I must give it to you. So that you would always fell her close to you, y'know. Wear it proudly. You deserve it." his father said.
Henry slowly placed the necklace on his desk before letting out a fake yawn.
"I really should go to bed right now." Henry said.
"Yes! Of course! Good! Okay. Good talk." Simon said as he stood up.
"See you at the battle dome."
"I'll be fine. Thanks for stopping by."
"I'm glad I did. I hope you uh, like the necklace."
The two stare at each other for a moment.
"Well...goodnight, Henry." Simon said before leaving the garage.
Henry let out a relieved sigh as his father left the house. That was a very close one, Henry thought.

At least his secret was intact.