20

Gideon watched as the remaining squadron of interceptors landed on the runway. One of them came without a wing, and Gideon recognized that as a sign of Simon's recklessness. Wariness and exhaustion were the faces he saw on Simon's face as he exited the half-destroyed aircraft and took off his HUD.

"So, I trust you guys hit them hard on their nest at least?" Gideon asked as he spared a glance at the other damaged aircrafts.
"Not even a single bullet or missile scratch." Simon glared forwards.
Gideon's face dropped a little as he muttered in sarcasm "Ah. Perfect." before following his friend.

Continuing the walk up to the hangar, Simon allowed his eyes to roam around to make sure nothing was out of place.

"I hope you had a little more success than me." he said. "Well... If by success you mean that your son has changed a bit while you were off, then...yes." Gideon said with a shrug. The fact that he didn't bother to fully understand what his words actually sounded like they were implying as he took his pilot helmet from him threw Simon off guard, making his eyes widen and face drop as he stared at his friend.
What? What in the name of God did he mean?
Before he got the chance to ask something a few of his crew mates that stayed behind during the time of the mission came rushing over.

"Congrats, Simon! Everyone is so amazed!"
"Left the past behind and moved on so well!"
"No one is as good as that kid!"
"We should make the graduation ceremony an unforgettable one!"
...and so on.

Simon couldn't help but to freeze as they tossed around exciting comments. That obviously meant his son, Henry.
"What happened?... Is he alright?" Simon asked his friend Gideon.
"Umm...yes." Gideon said as he looked at him, realizing what was probably on his mind. "Most mornings. But who can blame him for spending time alone. I mean, the life of a celebrity is very rough: crowds bombarding him question after question, his smartphone barely not giving him a break with many email messages, people following him towards home to see what he's up to while repairing his mecha, and so much more."
"Henry?" Simon asked.
"Who would have thought? He has the fighting spirit of an experienced elite! You should come by to see one of his training sessions to witness it by yourself. You'll be surprised how much potential he had under his sleeve all this time." Gideon said as he began to explain how one day, to every one's amazement, Henry was a master at inducing fear and fighting in one of the smartest ways possible. The more Gideon continued, the more Simon felt a lump of pride fill his being. Finally, he has matured to be an outstanding soldier.

He would have a talk with the boy later when everything settled down.