15

The night fury finally made it.
After flying for such a long time while hiding from the hover whizzers and metal bird patrols in small islands and clouds, Akio has finally arrived...

At the monster's nest.

No mater how mesmerizing the view of the tall structures and thick forest trees were during the night, Akio did not let his guard down even after landing in the forest near the nest.
'Come on, Amari. I know you're around here somewhere.' Akio thought as he lifted his snout to sniff the air around him and silently made his way around the moon-lit forest.
His nose picked up a strange mixed scent that was oddly familiar. It was a mix of fresh metal, cooled off flammable liquid like the ones left near the hidden world and...fur?
Akio's eyes widened. That was it!! Amari should be near here! She could even still alive! Picking up the pace a bit, the night fury trotted a little faster and headed where his nose led him. After a while, he arrived.

But there was nothing.

Nothing but a broken metal projectile and a few patches of blood on the grassy ground. Large footsteps that smelled of iron giant and a large plasma blast zone were also found. Which made Akio asume the worst that must have happened to his mate.
'No......NO. It can't be. Oh, my only mate....I'm so sorry....I— No. There is another scent of her nearby!' Akio thought as he corrected himself from breaking into tears and focused on the familiar scent, this time being stronger and newer. Now the direction was headed closer directly towards the monster's nest. Akio followed it, taking small talon steps and hiding in the shadows.

Finally, he arrived at what seemed to be and enclosed tunnel at the nest's edge. Here, his mate's scent was even stronger than before.
'Amari...I'm coming for you. I will save you from any harm!' Akio thought as he pried the metal off the tunnel and entered it.

———————————————————————————

"Hey...uhh...Henry. Is it ok if I use the empty bedroom upstairs as the lab space? It's alright if you say no" Dr. Elias said as he carefully picked up a box full of glass jars and a briefcase. "Sure, it's fine. You can use it. I don't use it anymore since I was ten years old, so knock yourself out." Henry assured the doctor as he closed the garage door behind him and placed an open bag with fish inside on the ground. Amari walked over to it and started devouring the fish with great appetite while Elias made his way up the stairs.
After she finished, Henry heard Amari ask "(~Are all of these things harmless?~)" through the mindlink as the furred fury got up and started examining the tools hanging from the walls and the boxes filled with research equipment that Dr. Elias has brought into the garage.
. . .
"Yes, but only if they are used for their designated purpose.......By the way, I was thinking of asking you a question: what kinds of tests will you be doing to Amari? I'd like to warn her so that she doesn't become hostile again with all of the strange equipment around her." Henry asked Elias when he returned from upstairs. "Probably some blood tests, saliva sample extraction with a pallet, x-ray photography, and—" Elias replied when everyone heard soundless thump shake the floor.
"Did you hear that?" Henry asked Elias as Amari perked her ears up and turned her head to the trapdoor that led under the ramp. The doctor nodded and whispered "Yes, I did." as Henry slowly made his way to the trapdoor and looked down trough the metal net. At first there was no sound that indicated that something was inside the tunnel. But then there was a shrieking sound and a blue light slowly lightning up.

"Ah, sh—!" Henry cursed as he bolted away and purposely pushed Elias backwards onto the ground just as the trapdoor exploded in a bright explosion.

KABOOM!!!

Debris fell everywhere as dust spread through the garage and out the door. Henry and Elias slowly got up as the coughed and waved hands aside to clear the dust aside, then heard something else. Claws were heard gripping the staircase as the thing climbed up and entered the garage. Then they all saw what it was.

A night fury.

A real night fury, scales dark as night and orange markings on its ear antennas and under its wings.
Henry and Elias quickly made their way behind the bike mecha as quietly as possible to hide. However, Amari didn't seem to see this new fury as a threat. Instead, Amari recognized it as she gave out a thrill of happiness and bounded over to the night fury. The night fury gave a roar of excitement, then licked Amari's snout as both made crooning noises.
"What is going on? Is this her sibling or other family member?" Elias whispered as quietly as possible when he and Henry peeked over to see the dragons interact. When he felt the waves of excitement coming from Amari, they felt different. So Henry replied "No not quite...

I think it's her husband."