32

Everyone in the Viking squadron was gathered in the briefing room.

"Thank you for coming here. Today we are here to discuss an urgent matter. Our monitoring unit placed seven years ago...is starting to fail. This unit that was used to take scientific samples and geological data, then used to monitor the location of the dragons, is starting to loose power and disintegrate. If it fails completely, we won't know when the dragons will strike since their behavior has become more random and erratic. And with our forces spread desperately thin, we are running out of options and time..." the Colonel spoke.
Meanwhile, Henry and Elias were discussing how to carry the dragon on board the airship in secret while figuring a solution to the mission problem before the Colonel noticed them talking silently.
Elias has somehow managed to extract and examine a footage of the surveillance cameras on islands near the entrance of the nest.

Apparently the dragons kept watch near the entrance, but needed to switch guard with another pair. This usually lasted a few hours; enough time to install the new monitors and get out.

"Is there something I need to know other than another strategy?" the Colonel spoke when he finally noticed them.
"Yes, we actually do, sir." Henry said as he stood up from his seat. He then headed towards the front of the room and said, "I believe me and Dr. Elias have found a quicker solution. This strategy includes patience, because their behavior isn't random at all."
"How so, soldier?" the Colonel asked.
"I sincerely apologize if we may have gotten into the surveillance cameras near the nest without authorization, but I believe you should see this." Henry said as he motioned to the screen behind them. There, it showed different dragons coming and leaving every two hours to guard the entrance.
"I do not mind if you have gotten this from the surveillance if it hasn't been used for unauthorized purposes, but what are you trying to imply?" the Colonel asked.
"What I and Dr. Elias are saying is that we may have a chance at night, sir. If we are able to enter the nest once they leave, as they seem to follow a pattern, we can install the three new monitors before dragons reach us. The dragons don't wait for another pair to arrive, they go into the nest and notify another pair so they take over the other guarding shift." Henry explained.
"It'll also give the squadron time to retreat so the dragons do not reach them. And it may open the opportunity to see what really goes on in the nest of the monsters." Dr. Elias added, trying to sound supportive.

. . .

"I admire the strategy of you two, but this doesn't mean that all of the squadron will go out without proper weaponry. Additional armament will be provided on the airship that will carry your mechas if an attack is imminent. With that being said... I am impressed with the strategy that you have provided to us. I bid you all of you luck and Godspeed once I talk it out with the superiors." the Colonel said.
Henry nodded and saluted.

* * *

"Any idea of how we'll 'smuggle' the dragons on one of the airships?" Elias asked Henry in a low voice as they both walked down the aisle.
"We can hide Akio on a rifle packet, while Amari can hide camouflaged inside my mecha's cockpit. Let's make sure no one double-checks inside once we do so." Henry said.
"Don't worry. I'll go check if they are safe from prying eyes." Alice's voice said from behind. Henry turned around to face her and asked, "Are you sure about that?". "Positive. Besides, I'm doing this because I owe you and it's the right thing to do." Alice replied in a carefree manner. "Awww. That's so sweet." Henry said with a hint of sarcasm, to which Alice said "Hey! Don't get too comfortable." with an unamused glare at him.

————————————————————————————————

As the men and mechanics made the final preparations to the squadron mechas for the departure, Henry and Elias were getting the dragons into their hiding places.

"[~Is there another place besides here? It's pretty cramped.~]" Akio said as he tried to make himself comfortable inside the rifle package. "Sorry. This is the only place where you won't be noticed. I really wish you could camouflage in a non-explosive way. Warn me if something happens" Henry said, then closed the case.
Before he got five steps away, an inspector came and asked him, "Excuse me, may I check the contents of this packet?". "Wait! Don't open it! The weapon is extremely sensitive!" Henry warned. "Are you sure?" the adult asked. "If you wanna open it, be that your death wish." Alice said said, coming up from behind Henry.

. . .

"Alright. Thanks." the man said as the pack got hauled in.

* * *

After the aircarrier doors closed, Henry went and opened the cockpit of his mecha to see if Amari was alright. "Hey, Amari. You still in there?" Henry asked, to which the furred dragon replied "(~I'm ok.~)" as she bumped her nose with his with a purr. "Good to know. You can come out to stretch after I've shut down the cameras." Henry said as he got down and exited the airship hangar by climbing up a ladder and entering the pilot control room. Later on, the airship started to move into launching position.
"You think we should also reveal them to the rest of the squadron?" Elias asked from his seat in the control compartment as he and Alice sat down in the pilot seats. "Yes, they deserve to know the truth. Once we land, we show them............ Let's hope this is a major step in understanding each other." Henry said.
Elias nodded, then said "Oh, I also forgot to tell you about my findings.". "What about them?" Henry asked. "I've studied their biological health and found something strange; the test results show that they were just healing themselves after being sick. I believe something is happening in their nest." Elias said. "Do you know what exactly?" Henry asked, to which Elias replied "I'm not sure because the tests were limited and inaccurate, but we're about to find out once we are there."

A moment later, a voice from the radio announced "[Airships A3 and A7, you are cleared for takeoff. Good luck out there.]". "Copy. And thanks." Alice replied.
With the throttles from the engines being raised, the two airships launched and rose into the air.
'Don't worry guys. I'll make sure you two get home safely.' Henry thought as they rose higher into the sky in the aircarrier.