Chapter 68 (Will)

Will

3 hours earlier.

"Will? What are you doing here?" Zoe asks me. She steps out into the hallway and quietly closes the door to her and Maddie's dorm behind her. "She doesn't wanna see you."

"Why not?" I ask, and Zoe raises an eyebrow.

"You know exactly why not. Don't be dense."

I sigh, because she's right. This isn't gonna be easy, I knew that already. But I'd hoped Maddie had cooled down a little since our last conversation a few days ago. It went how our chats usually go. Okay to start with, more than okay after a while, moments away from making out, then distaster struck. She pushed me away and shouted at me for being an asshole. She always gets like that. So fiesty and angry. I love it. But she doesn't. I know that. Maddie and I work in our own way, but she's had enough. Enough of me toying with her emotions. This is why I'm here.

"Okay, so she told me to get the fuck away from her and never talk to her again. But that's why I'm here!" I insist, and Zoe's eyebrow goes up a little higher.

"This is the complete opposite of respecting those wishes, Will."

"I know, but trust me, Zoe. I'm here to do what I should have done years ago. I'm here to fight for her!"

Zoe looks startled. I knew she would be. But I think she believes me. My words have had the desired effect.

"Are you kidding?" She asks. "You're here...to...."

"I'm here because I need to tell Madison Hudson that I want her to be my girlfriend!" I exclaim, before grabbing the door handle from behind Zoe's back and pushing the door open.

Maddie is standing by the TV, and she looks completely bemused. I think. Possibly angry. I know she heard what I just said, hell, I pretty much yelled it. I'll find out exactly what she's thinking very soon.

"What the fuck, Will?!" She yells at me. Yeah, she's angry. Definitely angry. I walk towards her with purpose. The purpose I should have shown her years ago. Nothing will stop me tonight!

"You think you can just show up here out of the blue and give me this shit!?" She's angry, but I'm smiling. I know this anger is a front for something else. I'm hoping that something is happiness.

"Maddie..." I start.

"No, Will! Don't Maddie me! You have no right to show up here and say you want me to be your girlfriend! You gotta be fucking kidding me with this shit!"

"I'm not." I'm standing right in front of her now. She's wearing a pink sundress. She looks beautiful. I smile down at her as she glares up at me. I don't know if she's gonna punch me or kiss me. I'll take whatever I get.

"Madison Hudson, I'm crazy about you. I've known it for a while, and I think you know it too. Deep down. I want you, in every way possible. I should have done this years ago, and I'm sorry I didn't. But like you told me the other day, I'm an asshole. Or, I was an asshole. I'm not now. I wanna prove that to you. I wanna be the boyfriend you deserve, if you'll let me. Please, Maddie, just give me this one chance. One chance is all I need."

"Shove your one chance up your ass!" She yells up into my face, but I can see the tears forming around her eyes. She's in shock. She wasn't expecting this. She doesn't know whether to lash out or give into her happy tears. I smile down at her and gently place my hands on both of her shoulders.

"Maddie. Madison. I am head over heels for you. Believe me. I wanna tell the world. You're the only girl for me. Be mine."

She shakes her head rapidly, but she can't find words to come back at me with. My smile widens into a small laugh as she finally gives in to her tears.

"Don't cry, baby." I say, pulling her into a hug and letting her cry into my shoulder.

"Don't call me baby!" She says through her tears, while thumping my shoulder with her fist.

"Okay, I won't if you don't want me to. But, I want to." I say, nuzzling my chin into her thick blonde hair. It smells like her apple scented shampoo. I love that smell.

"You're such a fucking dick, Will. Honestly, I hate you!" She says, but she's wrapped her arms around my lower back. I know she doesn't hate me.

I lean back a little and smile down at her as she gets her crying under control. I brush away the last of her tears and she rolls her eyes at me. God, I love this girl.

"You really hate me?" I ask, still smiling.

"Yes! So much!" She insists, frowning up at me. I feel her tighten her grip around my back. She doesn't hate me at all. Quite the opposite.

"You're a pig, and a liar, and a cheat, and I want nothing to do with you!" She says, in typical Madison fashion. Her actions right now are betraying her words. She's looking at my lips.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." I whisper as I bring my face down to meet hers just as she tilts her head upwards. Our lips meet, we both close our eyes, and we kiss. It's the most amazing kiss I've ever shared with anyone, and I know the feeling is mutual.

"Well, I'm just gonna take off!" I vaguely hear Zoe's voice coming from across the room. I forgot she was here. I don't care that she's here, and I know Maddie doesn't either.

"Maybe Zara will actually go to the movies with me. Or maybe I'll go alone or something, whatever. I'll see you lovebirds later."

I hear the front door click shut as I continue kissing Maddie. Alone together at last. For the first time in years, I finally feel at peace. Wrapped up in Maddie's arms, kissing her, I feel like I've finally found the one place I truly belong. And I'm never gonna let this go. I know I have a lot of work to do with Maddie. I need to prove myself to her. But I don't care about that right now. All I care about is kissing the girl I love, and holding her, and telling her that I never wanna let her go. This is gonna be the best night of my life so far, I can just tell.