Chapter 72

Jamie

As soon as I arrive home, I let Benji out back to do his business, and I check my phone. Jesus Christ, it’s almost 1 AM. And I have class in the morning. Kinda hard to care about that, though… I have a few new messages.

Jay @ The Middle, 10:32pm: Jame, where are you? Me and Joel are in your garage, thought you were studying with Noah tonight?

Patrick @ The Middle, 10:54pm: Just answered your own question, you idiot. Obviously, she’s with Noah.

Joel @ The Middle, 10:54pm: And where are you, P?

Patrick @ The Middle, 10:59pm: I don’t kiss and tell x
____

Jay, 11:27pm: Seriously, what are you doing? Joel and I are about to leave. Should I be worried? Has Noah kidnapped you?

I have four missed calls from Jay too. Jesus Christ. The last one was around a half hour ago. He must be worried. I rub my forehead, look up at the ceiling, take a deep breath and dial Jay back. It only rings once.

“Where the hell have you been?! Why haven’t you been on your phone? What happened?!” Jay demands.

“Hello to you too.” I say, frowning. I sigh and stick my phone onto the Bluetooth surround system so I can head upstairs and get ready for bed while I talk to Jay.

“Seriously, I have actually been worried. What happened with Noah tonight?” He asks as I head into my room to change.

“We got the assignment finished.” I say as I haul my top off and toss it onto the bedroom floor.

“Okay, but where were you? I thought he was going over to your place?” Jay asks.

“He did, but we ended up going over to his dorm because he forgot some of his notes about the book.” I raise my eyebrows in surprise. Looks like I’m lying to Jay about this. Okay, then.

“And you’re just home now?” He asks. “It’s late. You have school in the morning, young lady.”

“Shut up, so do you, and you’re still up.” I snap back at him, and he laughs.

“True. Well, good night then. I wanna jam tomorrow, since we didn’t get to tonight.”

“Yeah, yeah, sure. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I call out as I pull on my pyjama shorts and vest top. I shove my hair up into my signature bun, go to brush my teeth, then collapse on my bed. Benji hops up next to me on the bed, and I proceed to mindlessly pet him and stare up at the ceiling.

I slept with Noah.

I can’t quite get my head around that fact. I cannot believe it happened tonight, at last. And I cannot believe how amazing it was. I feel a chill sweep through my entire body as I close my eyes and think about what I was doing earlier tonight. I wanna do it again… I don’t want it to be a one night stand. But, I have no idea what he wants. And it is far too late for me to lie here and overthink this. So, I turn off the lights, close my eyes, and wait for sleep to find me. I don’t think about sex with Noah. I don’t. Okay, I do. For hours. The last time I check the time, it’s almost 4 o’clock in the morning. Tomorrow is gonna be fun.

***

I rub my tired eyes just as the barista hands me two latte’s to go. I startle and thank her for the drinks, before turning around and heading out front. Friday morning, and I have never needed coffee so much in my life. I am fucking exhausted. It’s my own fault, I know. But hey, we’re all allowed to complain about feeling tired every now and then.

I hand Aubrey her latte just as she ends her call with Kim. I went in and got the drinks, she stayed outside because Kim was calling her. We start walking down the street, towards campus.