I've Just Seen a Face (fluff- Part 2)

There I stood, telephone in my hand and a lump in my throat.

I stared at the number scribbled sloppily on the napkin.

Just dial it you loser

I thought to myself. Finally I mustered up the courage to do just that.

My pulse quickened with the sound of every ring.

What if he doesn't remember me? He probably gives his number to lots of girls. Oh God what am I doing...

By the fifth ring I'd already assumed he wouldn't answer. I reached out to place the phone back on the hook but before I could do so, I heard a voice on the other line.

"Hello?"

I gulped, bringing the phone back up to my ear. I was too nervous to say anything as I hadn't expected to get this far.

"Helloooo?" He asked again, sounding a bit peeved.

"Richard?" I asked meekly, feeling both shocked that he picked up and embarrassed that I hadn't answered him sooner.

"Y/N!" He asked, his voice now high-pitched and bright. I was surprised he remembered me, but then again my California accent probably stuck out like a sore thumb in his mind.

"That's me!" I quipped.

"I was hoping you'd call! Look, I'm very sorry for how things ended the other day. I really wanted to spend more time with ya. Do you fancy another cuppa? This time perhaps at my place, so there won't be a swarm of birds round me."

I giggled at his words, his husky voice like music to my ears. I was delightfully surprised that he had invited me to his own place. I would expect a famous man such as himself to be a little more cautious about a stranger coming into his home.

"I'd love to, Richard." I responded, beaming from ear to ear. I was grateful that he couldn't see my goofy grin through the phone.

"Wonderful! I'll pick ya up round 10 tomorrow, yeah?"

"Sounds good, I'll see you then."

I hung up and danced in circles around my small hotel room. I flopped my back onto the bed and peered over to the alarm clock that lay on the nightstand.

Soon after I drifted off to dreamland peacefully.

*****************

I stood in front of the bathroom mirror combing mascara through my eyelashes while I waited for Richard to show up. I wanted to be sure I looked my best, though I didn't have much to work with.

Truth be told, I wasn't much into makeup or anything of that sort. My cosmetics consisted of mascara, one red lipstick, and some powder foundation and my clothes were mostly from thrift shops. I was never materialistic, and I honestly never had anyone to impress.

I swiped some lipstick on, and then placed two small dots my cheeks. I rubbed it into my skin to create a rouge to match my lips.

I stared at my reflection one last time before I heard a loud knock at the door. I couldn't believe it was already ten, I must have grossly miscalculated the time.